1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Does APSE start this Wednesday?

I have to believe turnout will, sadly, be dreadful.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They should just spend the entire convention in the hotel bar, drowning their sorrows. Especially if they can fudge the expense accounts.

3. I got about four e-mails reminding me to sign up, so I have to imagine turnout will be sparse.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I keep hearing from different friends who say they're not going. And remember, last year most of Gannett didn't attend unless it was on their own dime.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had money in the budget to go - had I stayed, I probably would not have gone. I would have a hard time telling staff they can't go here or there while I'm going off for 3-4 days of, well, I guess education is what you'd call it.
    I suspect most SEs feel the same way. I'm curious to see how many do attend.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It better be dreadful. I hope nobody goes.

Based on the cutbacks across the board in this business, any paper spending the money to send a SE should have its head examined.

Yeah, we're laying everyone off, but how many awards did we win?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right there is proof you were a good SE.

There's nothing worse than saying, "Yeah, we can only send one writer to this game because of budget, so he better write a gamer, notebook and three siders... Oh, did I mention, I'll be in Vegas next week at APSE?"

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Brilliant point.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

My editor went to an APSE convention, came back and never told our staff a thing he learned or gleaned from that convention.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

With most of the McClatchy properties announcing their final cuts on Friday, I can't imagine we'll see many of those SEs at the convention.

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Between the big circulation SEs aggressively opposing the small and medium papers on the contest rules changes and the declining economy/newspaper business, I have to figure this and future APSE conventions will be limited to those papers with huge circulations, plus small and medium papers within a short distance of the site and/or those willing to pay their own way to network.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd have to believe any supersaver, low-cost trip would be given a second thought by management, if not outright rejected.

What if the national convention were held every two years, and strong regional meetings were held? That could possibly bring in more editors and some writers who would be interested in attending.

Draft saved Draft deleted