1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE contest: Time for an online component!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, Nov 9, 2008.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

gotta hand it to mizzou, when he's right, he's right.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mizzou, we usually agree and certainly have some mutual respect. But we don't agree here.

Yeah, times are really bad. But A) It's not thousands of dollars (might be splitting hairs, but just making the point); and B) this is exactly the time when sharing ideas with other sports editors on how to maximize readership is worthwhile.

I don't know if you've even been to either the national convention or the judging, but both are continuously mischaracterized on this board, and I really think that 80 percent of the time, at least, it's by people who assume they know what goes on at the national functions but have never attended.

Yes, after the work is done, some people drink; they even eat; and sometimes they play cards. And yes, they're sometimes hung over for the first sessions at 9 a.m. the next day. No point bullshitting on that.

But the judging is basically several days of hard work. And the convention has a lot of great sessions that people, including me when I was active in APSE, have used to better their sports sections and now, presumably, their websites and whatever else they're doing.

Understand it or not, but professional development IS an important part of being a good manager, and with a couple of rare exceptions, APSE is the basically the only source of that development sports editors have. And the good ones return to their offices recharged and ready to tackle new issues and make their sections and websites and whatever else better.

If you think the solution to the crisis that newspapers find themselves in is to chain sports editors to their desks for 49 weeks a year, then you're really ignoring basic human nature and reality. And, with all respect, that kind of position is easy to take for someone in your position, who gets out of the office -- or perhaps never even goes in -- on a regular basis.

Sorry -- if newspapers are going to continue to run, then there are certain things that are good for the long-term development and mental health of the department heads, and APSE, with all its flaws, is one of those things.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been a judge. It's very hard work. Like anything else, some of the people who go there work very hard. Others go there to drink and network.

Not going to argue the math, but plane ticket, plus five days in a hotel at roughly $150 a night plus food and possibly a car can very quickly add up.

I agree it can be a very valuable resource. I also think that given the state of newspapers right now, the money can be spent in a better way.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, a respectful agree to disagree then.

Draft saved Draft deleted