1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE contest rules?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Anyone have a copy? ???

Just curious.

Can't seem to find them on the APSE site, and didn't see any previous threads about it...

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Bueller ... Bueller ...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Thanks, Ace. The link didn't work, but copy and pasting it did.

The first rule of APSE contest rules is we don't talk about APSE contest rules.

The second rule of APSE contest rules is we don't talk about APSE contest rules.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You correct my quote and my link. That's the thanks I get?

Go wonderlic yourself.

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

That's not very nice.

I wasn't busting your balls. I was just playing along. :)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(me too)

8. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

All right ... here's my real question. (With some explanation building up to it).

I've got a feature story that I'd like to enter in the APSE features category this year.

According to the contest criteria from last year:

The issue I have is that my paper decided to run the (rather long) story in two parts, strictly because of space concerns. It appeared over two editions, but it's not really a "series."

It was written as a single article and clearly reads like a single article. The story appears on our website in its entirety under a single link with only one byline at the top - as if it were a single article, because it is.

As far as the contest goes, is there anyone in the know who can tell me whether or not I'm screwed?

??? ??? ???

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Your entry should be fine.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I sure hope so.

I'm not sure that it would win anything, but I'd be real upset if it were simply disqualified ... which with my luck, I can totally see happening. :p

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Story entries are submitted without byline and paper reference.
    Include the whole story. If a question is asked -- which I doubt -- consult with your Regional Chair. You're not trying anything underhanded so I don't see a problem.

12. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

As a former contest chair, I can speak to this under the past rules. Feature category entries have to come from one day. If the story ran over two days, it is two stories and would not be eligible.

Draft saved Draft deleted