1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE contest categories for online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ronnie Ramos, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

I am looking into the issue of how to judge online sports journalism. I raised this issue - without success - last year. I would like to offer a more detailed proposal this summer. Got any ideas or suggestions on the best way to do this? I know it has come up on another thread, but I wanted to try and capture all the ideas in one place. Also, if you are interested in participating on a brainstorming teleconference on this issue, send me a message here or at rramos@ajc.com. Thanks for the help.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Freelance,

Your SportsJournalists.com awards can go global now!

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Breaking news category to go online only? Like pretty much all breaking news is now... That would be a fair way to do it...

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I sent Ronnie an e-mail. They're talking about maybe letting online enter breaking news. I think that's the most complicated category of all. Letting online enter columns and features would be much more parallel to the process newspapers go through -- a column or story is filed, goes through the editing process and goes up on the site pretty much in the form it's going to stay, allowing for minor fixes -- and much more on the same playing field.

But, as usual with the APSE contest, it's not a simple deal in any case.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree, SF. I think allowing online folks who are pretty much doing the same thing as print folks into everything is fine. They're doing the same stuff. Breaking news is much harder to decipher, but I'm sure there's a way.

And congrats, Ronnie, on the AJC's Triple Crown.

6. taz

taz Member

Agree with SF and MileHigh. Breaking news makes sense, but it might be too difficult to quantify. Are we talking one story? A body of work where the reporter consistently files specifically for an online audience (ie, blogs)? And how do you track how the story was broken in the first place (multiple filings throughout the day vs. a 15'' story, six hours after the fact)?

We should really be looking to make an allowance for online components in the Projects category - even if it's a separate award (Multimedia Projects).

We've done projects that not only include print stories, but unique video packages, photo galleries, online-only sidebars, interactive elements, etc., with as much planning on the online side as the print. Is there any reason why we couldn't include a URL with the print project, and let the committees judge the entire body of work?

Maybe also a General Excellence category? Could be for an overall site, or maybe one URL that illustrates a body of work on a particular beat (preps, your NFL coverage, etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted