1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE conference in SLC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, May 19, 2010.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Who's coming and how many seats should I reserve for a quicky SportsJournalists.com meet and greet?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was wondering: does one have to have the title of sports editor to attend, or can other members of the department go? My sports editor is lukewarm on the idea and there's no way in Hades our paper would foot the bill. But since it's close enough to drive this year, I'd be interested in going for at least a couple of days, even on my own dime.

Does anyone know what the cost of the convention itself (not including hotels, meals, entertainment, etc.) is?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't have to be a sports editor. I think the fee is $200. You can get more info here ...

http://archive.apsportseditors.org/

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it like the NABC? Where they love having people sticking resumes in their faces in the lobby?

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

From the APSE: one registration fee allows multiple people from your organization to attend. fee is $200 before June 1; $250 after.
    the program looks pretty good, actually.
    I'll be there on my own dime, as usual. I'll be the guy wearing the Hello, my name is 2underpar. You can find me on the first tee asking what the course record is.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you need directions to the nearest and/or best golf courses let me know.

Also, if anyone wants to go for a bike ride between sessions ...

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aside from major metros and papers within driving distance, I wonder who'll be there.

I'd love to go. I've gotten quite a bit out of previous conventions. But it's not in the paper's budget. It's not in my personal budget either. At least in Boston (2011) I've got a free place to crash and cheaper flights to get there.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, it's good that they move it around. It would be darn near impossible for me to get to Boston.

9. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

If you're going -- or thinking of going -- and you'd like to slash your hotel costs, contact me at brownell@poststar.com. I run a roommate matchup program for APSE. I don't have any takers yet, and that's bad news for me. I need a roommate or I'm going to take a bath on this thing.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Perhaps the question should be: Will you still take a bath if you DO find a roommate?

11. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

No, but I do shower every day.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Greg,

I meant it as a joke. Hope that came across. If my SE decides not to make the trip, I might well take you up on the offer.

Draft saved Draft deleted