1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Awards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That is one strange fucking list.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You could make that case, but also make the case that at least they're reading each columnist for the merits of their entries and not always figuring out the usual suspects and just sticking them in there.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I read all those guys a lot more than three times a year, SF. (Is that still the entry number for columnists?) Doyel, Jenkins and Miklasz deserved the recognition. Kovacevic and Politi are fine choices. I'm stunned by the other five picks. I'll leave it at that.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's five now, but point understood.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jenkins is as good as it gets.

I think it is a very strong list, though I'd be lying if I said one name didn't stun me. I'll leave it at that.

6. I love reading Ian O'Connor...great wordsmith IMHO

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I won't comment on the columnist awards, except to say I was surprised by a couple of 'em, too, both pleasantly and otherwise. The one top 10 that really jumped out at me was the Sunday Globe. I've been reading that paper since 1974. Today, the Sunday Globe sports is a hollow shell. Four full pages of the notes columns which were the first thing the Internet made obsolete in sports journalism, one big feature (often quite good), wire service roundups and much New England small college and high school agate (quite useful). I used to read it first on Sunday. Now it's maybe fifth, fighting for that ranking with the Times Arts & Leisure.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

PROJECTS OVER 175,000

Top 10:
    Peter Abraham, Amalie Benjamin, Nick Cafardo, Chad Finn, Daigo Fujuwara, Sean Smith and Jaiver Zarrachina, Boston Globe
    Terry Frei and Mike Chambers, The Denver Post
    Kent Babb, Bob Duton, Pete Grathoff, Sam Mellinger, Terez A. Paylor and Tod Palmer, Kansas City Star
    Michael O’Keeffe, Christian Red and Teri Thompson, New York Daily News
    John Branch, The New York Times
    Frank Fitzpatrick, Philadelphia Inquirer
    John C. Cotey, Joey Knight, Bob Putnam and Eduardo A. Encina, Tampa Bay Times
    Steve Berkowitz, Steve Wieberg, Jodi Upton, Erik Brady, Jay Weiner and Calder Silcox, USA Today
    Dan Steinberg, Sally Jenkins, Michael Lee and Payton Craighill, Washington Post
    Jay Hart, Dan Wetzel, Les Carpenter, Michael Silver, Nick Cotsonika, Dave Meltzer, Kevin Iole and Eric Adelson, Yahoo! Sports

9. Balthier

Balthier Member

You can't say your surprises on the column list and not come across as an asshole? Come on, has civilized discussion here taken that much of a turn for the worse that we can't talk about columnist preferences without someone's feelings getting hurt? They're columnist, ferrcrissakes. They hear worse from readers if some trollish clod does jump on here and it gets out of line.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do it on another day. Let them have this moment. Good for them. All 10 winners in that category have had great careers and produced high-quality work, some more frequently and recently than others.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Explanatory Reporting, 75,001-175,000

Top 10
    Kirk Bohls and Randy Riggs, Austin American-Statesman
    Michael DiRocco, Florida Times-Union
    Stefanie Loh, Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News
    Andrew Gribble, Knoxville (Tenn.) News Sentinel
    Eric Crawford, Louisville Courier-Journal
    Brian T. Smith and Mike Gorrell, Salt Lake Tribune
    Josh Kendall, The State (Columbia, S.C.)
    Lorne Chan, San Antonio Express-News
    Joey Johnston, Tampa Tribune
    John Hoover, Tulsa World

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can say it just fine and not come off as an asshole. I just choose not to here. The judges thought this was the top 10 among this year's entries and I respect that. One would not have made my list. More than one would not have made Versatile's list. Your list might have included 10 completely different people. As Versatile noted, congrats to those on this year's list. The judges deemed them the best of the lot. So for this year, they are the best of the lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted