1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP's final word on Finals and finals

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Jun 12, 2012.

1. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Maybe it's just my (lack of) memory, but I recall seeing AP stuff coming over the wire with NBA Finals in the copy this year.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

It might be easy to ask them, but it's not always easy getting an answer. Just a couple days ago, a sports copy editor at my last shop participated in a Twitter chat with @APStylebook and asked this very question. He did not receive a response.

If the NBA calls its championship series the NBA Finals and the NHL calls its series the Stanley Cup Final, I see no reason why they shouldn't be capitalized. They're official names of championship events and have trademarks registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office just the same as the World Series and the Super Bowl.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That kind of goes with my rule of thumb. If that's what the uniform says, that's what it is. We have a school that calls its girls' hoops teams the Lady Vikings, but has also used just Vikings and, ugh, Vikettes, in the past. Uniform says Lady Vikings, they're the Lady Vikings.

Also, my apologies to all for daring to discuss something that was merely annoying and not brutally depressing.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Well, press them until you do get an answer. I assume you work for a newspaper that pays annual dues to the AP; you deserve an answer. And as a journalist, you wouldn't let a story subject dodge a question; ask again.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, what kind of answer are you expecting? The OP asks if it bothers us, not if it bothers AP. Why would it bother them? It's their policy.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, is it just me or did the AP change its style in the middle of the playoffs? I'm pretty sure we decided before the series to use AP's lower-case finals to save some meaningless work and that has been our style in the past. Now all the stories are coming over as Finals.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Kevin Durant had the ball in his hands and LeBron James in his face.
    With 10 seconds left in Game 2, the NBA Finals were providing all the theater anyone could ask.

MIAMI (AP) — Shane Battier is in the NBA Finals for the first time. Maybe it's no coincidence that it's bringing out his best play of the season.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The NBA Finals' Game 2 drew the highest television rating since 2004.

Maybe someone's question hit the mark or made them reassess it. I always thought the proper style was Finals.

Draft saved Draft deleted