1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

April Fools stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 1, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Just. Say. No.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God help me.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Now, are you opposing those obviously fake stories that some newspapers run, stories about April Fools pranks or both? Is there an appropriate way to address the demiholiday, in your opinion?

I have no problem with a spread on locals' April Fools stories or easy-to-do, last-minute pranks, provided the spread is in the entertainment section. It's a weak 1A centerpiece, but you can guarantee many newspapers will go that route.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I used to think this was a funny idea...when I worked on my college paper. Not any more.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There you are. That's where you should get that out of your system.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

There are a couple on Romanesko (from weeklies), including the first one, which came on a tip from me.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/03/30/examiner-com-snookered-by-april-fools-issue/

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/03/31/small-papers-april-fools-prank-has-wisconsin-in-an-uproar/

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Waited for the Sidd Finch reference. Well played, Steak.

April Fools stuff is funny on shows like Price is Right. In papers, not so much.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The appearance of Sidd Finch in this thread is THE reason not to do April Fool's stories.

Unless you think you can write or run a story that surpasses "The Sidd Finch Saga", there is no point in doing it or running it.

Lisa Minnelli - - back when she could still sing - - was once asked at a club to sing "Over the Rainbow". She declined telling the patron, "It has already been sung - perfectly." I don't know that "The Sidd Finch Saga" was perfect, but it sets the bar for April Fool's stories so high that none have cleared the hurdle since...

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The best part of "The Curious Case of Sidd Finch" is that the first letter of every word in the subhead spells out "Happy April Fool's Day — ah fib."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119283/index.htm

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A prank backfiring when stoked by a rip-and-read practice from local radio stations lifting copy from a newspaper?
    Claude Rains, etc....

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Holy shit I never knew that. Awesome.

Our paper did one online-only, with the GOTCHA as the entirety of the turn. People here have come to expect something from us and doing it this way, I see no harm.

Draft saved Draft deleted