1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying to the same paper the second time around

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Sep 3, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I didn't even get an interview the first time.
    I want to make a last impression. How should I start my cover letter?

Should I even mention I applied last time? Any help would be great.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

A. Don't mention it. It will only remind them that there was a reason they ignored you last time.

B. Write several different opening paragraphs. Show them to someone you trust and ask them which one grabs their attention (in a good way).

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It took four tries (!) over a span of six years (!!) for me to get a job at a particular paper.

They were, obviously, quite particular.

I agree that you shouldn't mention the previous time you applied ... but, as pointed out here from time to time, it's worth taking a good look at how you presented yourself, to make sure you didn't make it easy for them not to call.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I hardly ever read cover letters and always go straight to the ledes. If I see some shit about "a tale of two halves" or referencing a Vince Vaughn movie, it goes straight into my crapola pile. Just my $.02.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Be careful, Riddick. Vince is a combination of God, Muhammad and Laurence Olivier in these parts. How he hasn't won the best acting Oscar eight years running is the real stunner.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

riddick, you are so money!

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How long ago did you apply the first time? If it's been awhile, no problem.

The HR dept./editors likely keep people's resumes on file for at least 6 months to a year before they might be tossed.

Worry more about getting the job, not the little stuff.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me know if it works. I sent out resume No. 955 to the Plain-Dealer last week.

9. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

So I guess you're saying the most important part of a cover letter is the lede, correct? Any other cover letter nuggets?

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think he's saying he doesn't even read the cover letter and goes to the ledes of your clips to see if you can write.

Draft saved Draft deleted