1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying to a Lee paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anyone have any luck getting a callback using Lee's online application system? I'm assuming you need to e-mail a ME or SE stating that you applied just to get any notice.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I got a callback and made it through a couple rounds of interviewing when I was still applying in the j-industry a year or so ago. It was at one of their shops in South Dakota (and I tell you what, there's nothing like interviewing for "outlying government report" at a paper in rural South Dakota, when you live in the urban Southwest, to serve as a gut-check for how badly you want to stay in the business). I think I got the callback, then emailed my clips to the editor. I assume the online application thing goes straight to some HR person who winnows them down to a manageable stack for further consideration. I don't think it would hurt to be more proactive, though. An email to the editor asking when/if to send clips might be a good idea.

ETA: Maybe it was North Dakota. My memory is hazy. I didn't terribly want to live in either one, not to offend the pride of Dakota residents. ;)

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

E-mail/contact the hiring editor. That way they get your name and info instead of the HR person. I used to work at a Lee shop. I sent my application to the SE, then he asked me to do the online system, or at least that's how I remember it working.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Too late. I declare you a mortal enemy.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I work at a Lee paper now. As with anything else, I wrote and sent clips directly to the sports editor.

My experience is the email applications don't really count for much.

Draft saved Draft deleted