1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying for first jobs in England/Overseas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Nov 13, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The best story-teller I ever worked with quit sports writing to go work as an English teacher in China a couple years ago. Not sure how he got the gig, but he didn't seem to have a whole lot of complications with moving. He does a lot of freelance work now for ex-pat magazines and Web sites, and started up his own Web site, too, in addition to the teaching.

2. Superflysnuka, it's never too late to learn a foreign language, even if it is British. Good luck with the hunt!

3. busuncle

busuncle Member

It's tough to get legal permission to work, but if you're a college student or recent college grad or a young person of some sort, there are special programs available for (I believe) 6- or 12-month work visas. I'm sure you can find it with google. If your employer likes you, maybe they could help you navigate the legal hurdles required for more lengthy work.

I think that most of the young people on these visas are doing service-type jobs (restaurant, pub, hotel, etc.) and breaking into professional field like journalism could be very difficult. But maybe offer yourself as an intern? Even if it didn't lead to regular employment, it might be a neat experience.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Learn these words:

colour
    behaviour
    authorisation
    row (rhymes with how, as in fight)
    etc.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

ah-loo-MINNY-um, not aluminum

6. statrat

statrat Member

Don't know if they have the same in England, but when I was in Australia awhile ago, papers there have internship type programs for recent grads where they teach you the ropes of English-style journalism and then eventually cycle you into the editorial section. Might be worth looking into.

Draft saved Draft deleted