1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying for a job- how many links to stories to send

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sue, May 7, 2012.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

Had same job for 9 years since college. Haven't applied for anything. How many links should one send in an e-mail to a hiring editor? Is it OK to send one from five years ago or keep them all recent (last year or so)? Thanks for any help

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I haven't hired someone for a writing gig, but I'd say 5-8 links with a good mix of features, gamers and breaking news, and if it's more than a year or two old, it better be frigging amazing.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The only change to that, IMO, is if the job is outside of your current responsibilities. If you've been only a blogger for two years, but you have some great long-form features and the job is for a long-form feature writer, then put some in there.

Otherwise, if you just <i>like</i> them better, then no.

4. Sue

Sue New Member

Thanks

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any more than five, you're bogging someone down. You ought to be able to show your ability and range with five clips. Make sure the clips show your ability to do the job. I once had someone send five columns for a beat writing job. They were fine columns, quite good. I wasn't looking to hire a columnist.

Even if it is for a job you haven't done before, you need to have something that shows you are able to do the job. Lots of competition out there and your faith in your ability is not enough to separate you from the pack.

If something you did five years ago still sends out, send it. But don't send a whole collection that dated. Like the clips themselves, there should be a good mix.

6. Devin

Devin Member

In an unrelated matter, if one hasn't heard from a company within a few weeks after applying for a position, is wise to send your resume and work samples again?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't want a link. I'd rather have a word document or a pdf.

How do you know that the link isn't down when the editor finally gets around to looking at it?

8. JPsT

JPsT Member

I had an experience where I messed up on the formatting of my links, making them unreachable. Luckily, the editor let me know, and I was able to get him some working links.

With that said, that was totally my mistake. I absolutely hated getting a million attachments when I was going through others' clips. I think if your work is on a reputable site that doesn't regularly experience down time, links are the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted