1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying for a different job.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripple, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ripple

ripple Member

OK, I just found out there's a job opening closer to home than where I am now, and I plan to apply for it.
    My question is, do I need to let my employer know before I apply or wait until I hear back from the other job?

I started at my current job less than six months ago with the understanding that it was not a permanent thing.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. Apply for the job. You only owe them a two week's notice if you get it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even consider saying anything until you at least get an interview. That's just silly.

If you want to say something after that it's up to you.

I wouldn't until you have an offer from the other place.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just clear out your browser history and cookies, plus don't leave a copy of your resume on your work computer.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hell, given the current situation with newspapers, you could argue you don't owe them two week's either.

They don't give you two weeks when they fire or lay you off, do they?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You also are showing your new employer that you are responsible and not the type to leave your bosses in the lurch.

7. Mediator

Mediator Member

Don't tell. If you do and don't get the job, they will value you less.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If you tell an employer that you're looking for another job, it's career suicide.

Don't tell your employer unless you accept the job. Then you tell said employer when you give two-weeks notice.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No job is permanent. Were you hired on as a temp or did they know you wanted to move on? Just give notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted