1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apply for this ONE? in North Carolina...

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Time2getonHere, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I get to drive through Hickory on the way to Cullowhee next week. That's all I really have to add to this.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hickory isn't so bad; it has the trappings of your typical suburb, it's pretty in spots and you're not far from Charlotte, Ashville or Winston-Salem. But none of the papers that serve the area are any great shakes; Hickory is better than the ONE, but that's not high praise.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who worked at this shop for a while. Run. Far. Away.

Unless your travels take you to CulloWHEE!!!!!!!!, which proves that no matter where you are, there are always worse places on Earth.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are worse papers to be at. Right now, with so many people losing their jobs, it might be the only option for some. It might not be the NY Times but it is still a job in the business. There are guys laid off at larger papers who are wishing they were still in the business, any where.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The pay will be on the lower end of the scale, possibly around 21K. Not a place to go unless you have no other options to get in or stay in the business. The publisher is OK. Back when he was the editor five years ago, he offered me the job over the telephone but once we talked money it was all over.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, great insight.

The newspaper business is in the shitter? Really? None of us had any idea.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Insight has nothing to do with people working Angola. There are a few people who read these threads who are willing to do anything to remain in the business. For them it's not a joking matter.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Now I'm really looking forward to this trip.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who said it had to be an upward move?

10. Sad, but very true, Drip.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Last time I was there, the town was dry.

Enjoy.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thankfully I'm staying in Asheville, and only going there for the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted