1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apply for job, tell the wife or no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I think I am going to apply for a job at small paper.
    I am only half serious, but curious enough to apply.

Should I tell my wife I am applying?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yes. For the love of God, yes.

Ask yourself, is it worth the fallout if she finds out on her own?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. If you are first telling her when you are getting ready to travel to an interview, you're toast.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I feel badly for your wife that you're asking this of total strangers.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Did smallpotatoes steal your login?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What possible reason would you have for not telling her?

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Transmission issues?

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Telling her would probably be a mistake because it's going to make it much easier for her to track you down for delinquent alimony or child support payments.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you are only half-serious, I would assume you are applying in part to find out more about the gig. If it is the case that she might get all stressed out at even the thought of an impending move, I don't see what the harm is in not mentioning it. That is, until you find out it's something you really are interested in. At that point, you of course need to tell her.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Must be worried what the wife would think about all the groupies which will inevitably follow.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only solution is to accept the new job without telling your wife, then to form a second family with a sturdy blonde of Scandanavian stock. You could have three children, one being Orville Jr. II, and tell neither family of the other. You could send your first family's kids to private school since you'll have two incomes to work from and you want to show a shred of loyalty to the first family, darn it. Things become complicated when Betsy has a recital at the same time as Orville Jr. I's football game on Sept. 26, 2021, but we've all seen it work on The Flintstones, and I think you can pull it off. The only real question is, in which house do you install the jacuzzi that will be your final resting place?

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This. What's the downside to telling her? Does she have veto power? If you tell her what you said in the original post, that you're curious enough to apply but are only half-serious, will that throw her into an emotional meltdown?

Draft saved Draft deleted