1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Application question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Is it wrong to apply for a job if it's really not the best time to make a move should you get the job? There's a few places I'm interested in going after, but the timing is probably a year or two away.

Does it hurt to apply, possibly interview and make contacts with those SEs that could turn into a job down the road, or is it just wasting their/my time if I'm 99 percent sure I'd have to turn the job down were it offered?

2. I'm not an SE and I've never be in on hiring, so take my opinion for what it's worth.
    I'd say you shouldn't apply. To me, it just seems like you're wasting their time. I don't think there would be a problem with sending them an e-mail with a few credentials or whatever that succinctly says, "I would be interested in openings down the road. Do you anticipate having any? Please keep me in mind in the future."

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Okie's right ... I would be honest about my current situation and also about my interest.

But not an e-mail. A real letter with resume attached.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I would only apply if you are ready to make the move within six to 10 weeks. That should give you enough of a buffer -- if you've got a lease running out -- for the time it takes for your material to travel, the interview period, the waiting, the two weeks' notice at your current gig. I can't imagine any hiring company would look kindly on someone who is simply turning things in for the hell of it. It seems like it is just wasting their time, even if your intentions are for the long range. When you're ready, send them in. Until then, sit on the idea.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lots of variables here. Why is it not the time to make the move? Haven't broken it off with the hot blonde yet? Feel like you need more maturity? Family issues? Obligation to employer because you're a relatively new hire?

Well, not knowing your exact answer to the first part, I can't say the answer.

I will say this, though: For the most part, loyalty is overdone.

A company will cut the legs out from under you tomorrow if an exec gets a hair across his ass, if your new boss doesn't like you and wants to bring in his people, if the budget target is not met.

As long as you're not a major dick and it's clearly a move upward, screw obligation.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

as someone does the hiring, i'd be really pissed if i wasted time on someone who's not interested in the job i need to fill yesterday and damn sure wouldn't keep their resume on file for a future opening.

and even sending a letter of interest/introduction won't keep your resume in my files for probably more than six months tops.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but i thought hiring eds loved it if you wasted their time.

8. Thanks for the honest responses. It's more of family obligations than anything else mentioned. I'm not looking to deceive editors and piss them off, but I don't want to feel like I let a good opportunity slip away. Based on the responses, I likely won't apply unless there's a better chance at me making the move sooner.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I will say this as a former sports editor and editor who did a bunch of hiring, and as a job-seeker who had to turn down two jobs for family reasons as well: If you're offered a job and turn it down, and in this case if you're 99 percent sure you'll turn it down, do not apply or interview for a job. The chances that you'll be offered a job there again are 100 percent nil. It takes hiring managers a lot of time and effort to reach the job offer stage, and you'll have wasted their time, which they won't forget.

Conversely, network. Send them a letter and resume and let them know in a year or two you may be ready to move to their area. That never hurts and often helps when you do apply for a job.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Don't apply if you have no intention of accepting an offer. You're wasting the SE's time and this could very well come back and bite you in the ass.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Either way, Sunshine, good luck.

12. 212areacode

212areacode Member

Timing is everything in this biz. Apply. See what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted