1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's new stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 9, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am with you on the phone for a boarding pass. But we do that because it is easier. It is replacing having to print out your stuff at home or stopping at a counter or kiosk, which slows you down.

People already carry their wallets wherever they go. And credit cards -- a swipe -- are pretty entrenched as a payment method. It's not that difficult or inconvenient. And swiping a piece of plastic is really no more difficult than having to get out your phone. They are going to have to convince people to abandon the actual piece of plastic in favor of something new. And at the same time, get more retailers than the ones they announced, on board.

There have already been a lot of failures already in mobile payments. If anyone has the scale and name to make it work, it is Apple. I am still dubious, though. I think it is a crap shoot for them, at best. And iTunes radio shows that just because Apple stepped into a crowded field, doesn't mean they automatically are going to be successful.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Initially Apple had the market all to itself, and now there are a zillion competitors for tablets, including Amazon's Kindle.

The big money may yet come in the education market. My 15-year-old daughter is among those testing tablets this year for their expected expansion next year to all of her high school's students, instead of handing out printed textbooks. And I know her school is hardly a leader in getting into this.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You need to have an iPhone to be able to use the watch - an accessory that has been largely dispensed with thanks to...the iPhone.

And we're getting to the point where more products are just presenting more ways to get hacked. Granted, updated operating systems and other tech advances don't sizzle and won't get people in line.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The ONE saving grace (pun intended) I could see for the iWatch is if the rumors are true and they are developing software that tracks your blood pressure and predicts a heart attack. THAT's a game-changer right there. But, obviously, that's not included on the one announced today.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Apple has a large flock of sheep. I'm sure they'll do decently with the product.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Apple started tying their products into the health market...yeah that would be pretty big.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are already a zillion health apps out there, including one that tells you if someone ELSE is having a heart attack.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/heart-attack-rescue-theres-app-n121911

And, yup, there already are apps that tell you if you're having a heart attack or stroke.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-health/having-a-heart-attack-or-stroke-your-iphone-knows-6152.aspx

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the Pay function is dependent on a new chip in the phone, not just an updated app. So you have to buy the new iPhone to use this new payment method. The watch is just a smaller version of what we've already got in a phone or tablet. But I'm the type to hold on to a computer or phone for four or five years, so most of these bells and whistles aren't aimed at people like me anyway.

9. The Big Ragu

Are you sure?

From what I saw Apple Pay was built into the passbook app in the new version of iOS they are releasing with the new phones. It will require the fingerprint sensor as part of the "Touch ID" feature, but the iPhone 5S has that sensor (5C and older iPhones don't). I can't find anything saying yay or nay, but I'd think the payments would work on the 5S too.

10. The Big Ragu

You were right, Bradley. I just found the press release. It requires the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus -- which have a different antennae and what they are calling a security chip. It will also work through the new watch, if it is linked to an iPhone 5, 5C or 5S.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The idea of a phone two inches longer than my current iPhone isn't appealing. There's no way that'll fit in a pocket comfortably. I could just get an iPad mini if I wanted a screen that big.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Like Inky, I have no desire for a phone any bigger than the IPhone 5 I just bought in the spring.

When it becomes obsolete, I'll switch brands if I have to in order to keep something of a handy size.

The watch doesn't appeal to me at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted