1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's iPhone nears release date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jun 24, 2007.

?

Are you going to buy an iPhone?

1. Yes, the day it comes out

3.2%
  2. No, never. What a waste of money!

29.0%
  3. Later. After they've worked out the bugs and AT&T isn't the only choice of cel company

67.7%
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm waiting for the onboard espresso maker.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

I read on Engadget Mobile that the iPhones are locked down at Fed EX facilities and will be shipped on Friday to AT&T and Apple stores with armed guards.
    I love this iHype.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hmm, this is an interesting question. I could go with the iPhone (and I don't have any problem with Cingular) or I could go with the O2 XDA. Hmm, well, at a lower price, with the option to upgrade memory, the ability to load GPS software on it so that you don't need a separate in car system, the ability to play MP3 songs, a touch screen, a product that has been on the market for a few years, a product that doesn't force you to use Apple's crappy web browser, and a product that costs more than $100 less, this really isn't a hard choice.

Sorry, Apple. It is only your marketing that is able to make the claim about revolutionizing the phone industry.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

From Engadget Mobile, details on the plans, cheapest is $60, which for unlimited (non-EVDO) data and 450 minutes of voice isn't that bad.

"AT&T has announced that it will be offering the iPhone for much more reasonable rates, starting at just $60 for 450 minutes and "unlimited" data; that's right, the data plan is wrapped up nice and tight with voice service in your obligatory two-year contract. Scoring 900 or 1,350 minutes will set you back $80 and $100 per month, respectively, although no matter what plan you choose, you're getting 200 text messages, unlimited mobile-to-mobile calls, and a ton of night and weekend minutes (5,000 for the starter plan, unlimited for the other two). If you're unfortunate lucky enough to be stocking up on iPhones for the whole family, shared bundles of 700, 1,400, and 2,100 minutes (all with 200 SMS messages and unlimited night and weekend calls) can be had for $80, $100, or $120 plus 30 bucks per line. Finally, to keep existing customers from going crazy waiting for their contracts to expire, AT&T is also offering its current subscribers a $20 option to tack on the iPhone data plan -- which goes up to $30 or $40 if you need to jack up your SMS limit to 1,500 or unlimited messages."

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One Mac-specific tech writer suggests waiting on iPhone 2.0 ...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06262007/news/columnists/dont_get_hung_up_on_buying_an_iphone_columnists_glenn_fleishman.htm

6. John

John Well-Known Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So let's do the math ...

Phone: $599
    Activation fee: $36
    Basic plan: $720 per year. Minimum.
    Add in the total cost of your phone service, and ... it runs over $1300 for the basic plan.

I have better things to spend that on.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

The interface is awesome but I'll keep my Treo 700p on which I can stream live TV, use memory cards, send picture mail, use a high-speed data network.
    I'm sure in 2 years the iPhone will be better, but of course by then, other phone manufacturers will get off their asses and dramatically improve their hardware (Palm, this means you).

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Anyone get one yet?

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There are about 20 people camped outside the AT&T store by my office. I didn't go that way yesterday, so I don't know how long they've been there. They all looked in need of a shower. Two TV crews were out there interviewing people.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No lines at the Cingular/AT&T office near my house. I called and they've got five iPhones available. Should I buy one and eBay it?

Draft saved Draft deleted