1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's iPhone nears release date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jun 24, 2007.

?

Are you going to buy an iPhone?

1. Yes, the day it comes out

3.2%
  2. No, never. What a waste of money!

29.0%
  3. Later. After they've worked out the bugs and AT&T isn't the only choice of cel company

67.7%
  1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A post earlier on here said someone heard a five-year deal.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

5 years?
    Mistake on Apple's part.
    Wait till the posts start on how shitty AT&T's service is and people won't buy it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It may be a mistake or it could be a strategically brilliant move. Every time a hot new cell phone rolls out on one of the carriers, it eventually makes its way to the other carriers, even if it takes some time. This degrades the value of the phone by creating competition. It's what happened with the Motorola Razr. By giving AT&T exclusivity, Apple is giving AT&T access to a commodity the other carriers don't have. Which gives AT&T value and will probably keep the iPhone from becoming a cheap phone for people signing new two-year contracts (the way the Razr did).

4. markvid

markvid Guest

But will people stick with it after all the complaints about dropped calls, bad coverage areas, etc.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I switched to Cingular in January and haven't had any problems -- at least no more dropped calls or coverage issues that I had with Verizon.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been with Cingular for years and not had any problems with drops or bad coverage.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Cingular's service was made of fail and dropped calls for me. I lived across from the airport and the tower for all the cell service in my town, and I went from five bars on T-Moblie to two on Cingular. In a state capital of an East Coast state, I had to walk outside my house to talk and could not get a signal at work, on a U.S. Route, to save me life.

If I bought an iPod, it'd have better cell service than an AT&T iPhone.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My AT&T/Cingular service sucks balls. The end.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

It all depends on where you live. If I had T-Mobile, my service here would be almost nonexistent.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

In his last keynote, Jobs announced that the iPhone would have scratch-proof glass.

I'm as much of a macfanatic as anyone, but I'll be taking the wait-and-see approach.

The Friday 6 pm release time is sure to build a ton of hype. Lots of live remotes on the local news. It'll be like the furor when Willie Wonka put golden tickets inside his chocolate bars.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The patithitards (sp) I dealt with the last time AT&T had cell service are more than enough to keep from getting an iPhone for five years. I cannot stand those fuckers. Cell service was fine, although it's spotty out here once you get outside town, but the customer service is more than enough to keep me far, far, far away, even if they do have the coolest, awesomest phone on the block.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

T-Mobile....*shudder*
    My wife always knew where I was on the road from PNC Park to our home, it'd drop out in the same places every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted