1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's iPhone nears release date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jun 24, 2007.

?

Are you going to buy an iPhone?

1. Yes, the day it comes out

3.2%
  2. No, never. What a waste of money!

29.0%
  3. Later. After they've worked out the bugs and AT&T isn't the only choice of cel company

67.7%
  1. I began setting aside money for this when the iPhone was announced. I'm ready. I'll be there on the first day.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I would consider buying one if the plan came with unlimited web browsing, unlimited txt, unlimited everything basically. The price of the phone will come down eventually. The cost to run/use the phone (and all its bells and whistles) won't.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I won't be buying an iPhone for a very long time. Possibly 10 years.

It took all I had to save up for an NV. Plus I just bought a new iPod.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

You should get a Sprint Upstage with a SERO plan. PM me if you want to learn more.
    If you hate AT&T and still want a iPhone, be prepared to wait a LOOOONG time. I read someplace that AT&T has a five-year exclusivity deal.
    I watched the 20-minute "infomercial" on Apple's web site and I'll admit it is a cool looking phone that has the potential to be an amazing device.
    But if you follow the cell phone biz like I do, you know there are always bugs in initial releases.
    Didn't Apple have an iPod that had a screen that easily scratched and another with battery issues?
    It's fun following all this hype and I'll be watching on TV at 6 p.m. on Friday when it comes out.
    I just went to Sprint last month, got a new Treo, which with EVDO (high-speed Internet), kicks ass.
    I was watching Entourage on it at work earlier since I have a Slingbox.
    You cannot watch live TV on an iPhone. (although I'm sure Jobs is working on that one).

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I remember you posting about this a while back. Tremendous plan. I still have 6 months with Cingular ... errr AT&T. If Sprint's still doing it in 6 months, I would consider switching to that plan.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've read a few stories where the iPhone's batteries conk out after 45 minutes. I can believe that. You've got the equivalent of a mini laptop running god knows how many programs. I think the iPhone will be a case of perhaps showing us the future, but it won't be the future.

It will fall into the category of the pre-iPod music players of the late 90s.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm definitely intrigued, but there's no way I'm getting one.

- #1 issue is Cingular/AT&T. I'm not going down that road again. I'm sticking with Verizon.
    - I just picked up a Blackberry for $50. It does everything I need and then some.
    - If I was to ever get one, I would want to incorporate all the songs on my iPod. Since I have the 60 gig, the iPhone would never fit all of my songs.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wonder if Microsoft will get into the game with a phone/internet-capable Zune? If they don't get caught up with securing an exclusivity deal, they could compete easily.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NOLU, the battery issues have allegedly been resolved. Though I'll be curious to see what users experience.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Sprint will have the SERO plan through the end of 2007 and will probably extend it.
    Again, anyone with questions, PM me.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Figures, seeing as how I got my paper to plunk down for the new BlackBerry Curve (the 8300) and upgraded service for me a month ago. I think the iPhone is SWANK, but I couldn't justify going to the personal well/hitting them back up so soon. SIGH.

rb

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Does anyone know if AT&T has exclusivity for an open ended amount or only like a year or two?

Draft saved Draft deleted