1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's iPhone nears release date

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jun 24, 2007.

?

Are you going to buy an iPhone?

1. Yes, the day it comes out

3.2%
  2. No, never. What a waste of money!

29.0%
  3. Later. After they've worked out the bugs and AT&T isn't the only choice of cel company

67.7%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pretty much the way I feel. I wish I'd gotten on the iPod train when it was pulling out of the station (and bought some Apple stock too, but that's neither here nor there). that phone looks really damn sharp, but I can't justify spending that kind of cash right now. Or ever, probably. Sigh.

3. I could be wrong, but isn't the iPhone an AT&T exclusive? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing/reading something about how the only carrier the iPhone will be compatible with for many years is AT&T.

But like I said, I could be wrong (which wouldn't be a first).

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know AT&T is the only one with the upgraded system to handle hte iPhone right now, but I will not give money to them b/c of their assholishness when I canceled my service with them years ago when I moved to Mont.

I am holding out hope other companies will upgrade to work with the iPhone by the time I can afford one.

5. I see you know what the "A" in AT&T stands for.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's actually not true. They will be handling data on their EDGE system, which is older and slow technology (2.5 vs. 3G). Apple actually offered the phone to Verizon first (Verizon has the more developed 3G network), but Verizon passed on an exclusive deal for the iPhone, because Apple was insisting on a percentage of the monthly cell phone service fees and control over how the iPhone could be sold (only Apple and Verizon stores--no WalMart, etc.) among other things. Cingular was a second choice.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i know we've had tons of threads on how much cingular sucks but i've had it for three years in south florida and it's fine. no problems whatsoever.

but i remember reading when the iphone was introduced that cingular (now at & t) offers notoriously lousy coverage in california. so if silicon valley geeks can't use the iphone, either it'll crash and burn or apple will quickly get smart and figure out a way to get a few other carriers on board. apple seems to be able to adapt these days so i'd guess the latter will happen.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The first phone I can remember had a ringing sound when there was an incoming call. You could call someone, and they could call you. That was the extent of the functionality.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how this thing will do... But it is really expensive. 4gig is $500 and 8gig is $650. That is a too much to pay for a cell phone for most people. The early adopters and people who have to have the latest greatest are going to run out and buy it on Friday. There may even be a run. But most people are going to wait and see and probably never buy unless prices come down.

Apple is smart, but they are not flawless. They had big plans (maybe not as big as this, but still) for that Apple TV thing they released last year, and the thing has been a dud. This thing isn't guaranteed success, especially at those prices.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The commercials have really got me interested in this phone. Then I looked up the price and about fell outta my chair. I think I used my selective memory when the iPhone was first announced.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think this product will fail, like the Newton, but I'm not sure it's really going to be the massive hit that everyone thinks it is. A lot of people might like the iPhone, but how many are going to pay $500-plus for one? How many people that aren't with AT&T/Cingular, are going to pay to get out of our contracts to then pay $500-plus for one? How many people that already have iPods loaded with all their songs are going to buy another music player, that doubles as a phone? Are you allowed to use it to listen to music on a plane -- it is a phone? Finally, and this is something I've wondered about, how long will the battery on the iPhone last if you're listening to music on it all day between calls?

Again, I'm certain Apple will sell a ton of these things early on, but I'm not sure it's going to be able to sustain it. I have an iPod and a Blackberry, so I'm set in both departments for a long time.

12. boots

boots New Member

I'll get one when the price comes down. And I mean waaaaay down.

Draft saved Draft deleted