1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by king cranium maximus IV, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

speaking of apple, the new OS is sweet. Anyone got it?

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

response to first sentence- i know.
    response to second sentence- not always. every ipod i've ever dealt with every once in a while threatened to take its ball and go home if i didn't hold down the button exactly right.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Several times in the last month, my iPod will go dark when I hold down the play button, but as soon as I pick up my thumb, it turns back on. I basically have to restart it about three out of every four times I want to turn it off, and even that doesn't always work.

Plus, it locks up sometimes and won't play. Just freezes.

4. I've been using ipod since 2003 and never once have I lamented the absence of an on/off switch.

As for Apple as a whole: I'm a little bitter right now because my G4 iMac was rolling along just fine until the 10.4.10 software update. Now everything is slow. I think Apple did some tinkering to make older machines seem slower so people will go out and buy new hardware. I won't do it.

Delusional or appropriately cynical? It's a coin toss.

5. the iphone is absolutely phenomenal. Got one a month ago and am still amazed with it.

(Also, it has an off button).

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right there with all of you. I got an iPod Video last Christmas (06) and have had it lock up three or four times. The only way to fix that is to let the battery run down.

And when I press and hold "play" to turn it off, it's even money whether or not it's going to turn off or just keep on keepin' on. Frustrating.

They put a sliding lock/unlock button at the top. Why not a "press-and-hold" on/off switch on the other side?

It's built-in obselescence. Any device that depends upon you pressing down on a flat surface (which in turns presses down upon a circuit board) --- iPods, remote controls, microwave control panels, calculators --- wears out far faster than one that has moving, plastic or rubber buttons.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You stop making sense, right now Mr...

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What bothers me is not so much the turning off ... it's the turning on. If you don't avoid that area while picking the IPod up, you can turn it on without knowing. And then it's wasting battery, and without any sound, you don't even know it.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dude, that's what the hold switch is for.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, yeah. The hold switch. ;)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not. Hold down the center button and MENU buttons simultaneously until the silver Apple logo appears on the screen.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My Shuffle's on-off switch works just fine. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted