1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple TV...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 29, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone "ditched cable" for Apple TV? Is it better than a Firestick?

We already have Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming, so Hulu would be added, but what other additions have people done?

Can you record shows?

How many apps are you paying for?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You can play hipster games on an Apple TV. It's just a more-powerful Amazon Fire or Roku. It does. Buyer beware, though, as the Apple TV does not currently have an Amazon Prime video app, but there are reports it is coming soon. It cannot record shows. There are rumors Apple will launch a sunscription TV service like Sony and Dish did.

You can get around sports blackouts and also access Netflix content in other countries, or watch British or Canadian TV.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I ditched two years ago and have no desire to go back to cable. Every show I watch is either on Netflix or Hulu. Wife and I also have iPhones so we can use AirPlay to stream a show on the phone and watch it on the big screen. I do this for Doctor Who since BBC America doesn't do next-day streaming. Also, we rent new digital releases via iTunes. There's a movie of the week rental every week for 99 cents. Last week it was the new Terminator.

I got the newest box, Apple TV 4 a month ago. The controler is way different, and it has Siri so you can ask it to search for shows/movies. Also a lot more game apps, but I don't mess with those.

Previously, my Dish bill was $90 a month, plus $50 to Cable One for internet. Now I pay $12 for ad-free Hulu, $9 for Netflix, and $10 for WWE Network. I added HBO during the summer for $15 for True Detective and turned it off once it was done. I paid $7 for CBS, but turned it off once a show finished. So I save some money by cancelling stuff when I don't use it. If True Detective gets a third season, I'll turn HBO backnon for a few months. Or maybe I'll just spend $30 on the iTunes season pass and keep the episodes.

If you like live sports, you'll have a tougher go. Doesn't bother me a bit since I just watch Alabama games. Most are on CBS, and I have a $20 antenna to watch my local affiliate. There is an ESPN app with extras like SEC Network, but you have to have a cable login. I use my parents' cable login to get around it if I need ESPN.

4. 93Devil

Has anyone tried this...

A Best Buy employee said he gets basic cable so he can keep his comcast email which allows you to stream all the shows on the apps for ASBC/NBC/ESPN and others.

So I would get a strong internet package plus basic cable for about $100 a month. Add Hulu for $10 and this would save me about $100 a month, I think. Still researching this, but it's getting closer to being a reality.

I have a semi-smart TV so I can get Amazon on that.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Apple TV (hate the company), but I love Fire TV and have cord cut that route in the last two months. I just got the 2015 Fire TV box model a month ago. I'd recommend that route for you since you're already an Amazon user. Mine works extremely fast, has a voice search and now has Alexa (its version of Siri) included. Alexa is awesome, and the voice searching/asking works well. She reads off sports scores, weather forecast, time, and information from Wikipedia. Will also start playing music if I tell her to.

I'm a Prime member and subscribe to Netflix. I also rent new releases from Amazon. Everything streams well with mediocre speed Uverse internet. In addition, I also subscribe to Sling TV, which is awesome! The picture quality is as good as Uverse's TV was. For $35 a month, I get their basic package plus HBO (HBO a $15 add-on, basic package $20). I know you can use the WatchESPN app with a Sling subscription.

6. 93Devil

SFIND, that was awesome advice.

I will drop from $204 a month to about $120 a month. Fire + Sling + Hulu will be added to what I already have and I will lose HBO and the DVR. I already have an antenna, Prime and Netflix.

I am also losing a home phone, but that is not a big deal.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm curious....for those who are willing to share.....how much do you pay for TV?

Mine is TV and Internet combined. The highest-priced package on both with three cable boxes and whole-home DVR or whatever. I think ours runs $190/month through FIOS.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Zero. I go over to my girlfriend's and watch her TV. I cut cable 14 years ago.

I've got a different problem though - after 15.75 years, she wants me to pay her a couple of grand per year to help her now that's she's drawing retirement. Looks like I might finally have to get married so I can be a beneficiary.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I was at $125 for Uverse for I canceled in November. I had the U200 tier plus HBO. As I mentioned earlier, now down to $35 with Sling. It's a great deal for me even with the loss of many channels since I rarely watch anything outside of HBO/live sports anymore.

10. 93Devil

I think that is ballpark to what I pay for Xfinity for probably the same thing. I get 150 MBS blast service, but since FIOS is not offered where I live, I have to get the 10% Xfinity cost bump.

11. 93Devil

This post deserves it's own separate thread.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The best deal, from what I've read, is just mooch off your parents' cable account. As for cutting costs, contact your pay-TV provider. I'm getting the highest Internet package and the best TV package (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) for $130 total (includes taxes and other fees).

Draft saved Draft deleted