1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple to announce subscription plan for newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Sep 15, 2010.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16076241

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apple is like the Mafia.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My chain is pushing blogs to earn more revenue. It's all but ignored the mobile space, which is probably the wrong way to go.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I mean this in the most sincere manner possible, but can someone explain to me how the heck blogs earn revenue. I mean are you charging people xx cents to read them.

I have yet to see a successful business model for online journalism anywhere. Oh, we just stick stories on the website, maybe add an occasional video or blog and anyone can view it for free. What the hell kind of business model is that? Why are we busting our tails to give stuff away?

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

It's funny about the whole business model thing ...

Newspapers were like the too-good-to-be true business model for so damn long. Double-digit profit margins, pay your employees like migrant workers, profit. Even to the point of where a section of society is required BY LAW to pay you money (legals).

So, therefore, for so long basically any dumbass could run a newspaper. And run it in the ground. And plenty of them did.

At the first instance that we as an industry have to put our noodles together to change with the times, 12 or so years after the interwebs becomes the norm, we still don't know our dick from a hole in the ground. We gave so much away for so long, we've backed ourselves into a corner.

Thank the Good Lord Above that someone as bright as the good people at Apple are here to save us. Are they the entire answer? Probably not. However, they aren't going to go down the road if there's not money to be made. Maybe enough people will be smart enough to cheat off their model.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Upper management thinks bloggers will drive page views despite the fact that finding relevant content won't be easy, you have to get users to click around. Add to that no marketing besides house ads.

I'd rather devote online efforts to creating original online content that people would rather read. Unfortunately, people don't care about quality.

Walmart isn't successful for selling quality items and a lot of online news sites don't care about quality journalism.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://newsonomics.com/9-questions-on-apples-itunes-for-news/

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The online magnates who continue to trash newspapers for trying to charge online crack me up, foremost Andrew Breitbart, whose red-meat nuthouse employs a couple editors, then fills its content with freebie work from whatever hack they can dig up. The people who say reporting should be free obviously have never done any of it.

Hope this works.

9. I'll never tell

if reporting should be free -- because after all we are public servants -- then I think we should be paid like the rest of them. Gub'ment pay, gub'ment benefits, gub'ment retirement.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

To be fair to the industry, we're hardly the only people who can't figure out how to make money off the internet.

11. I'll never tell

Who else is having problems? Sure, TV had some issues, but outside of CBS and Comedy Central being completely anti-Hulu, I can't think of anybody else.

And I'm not saying that in a smart-ass way. I think we're on to a good conversation.

12. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

I'm really not a huge fan of giving Apple 30 percent of subscription revenues and up to 40 percent of ad revenues. Look, making any kind of profit online is a tricky proposition. Has been for 20 years, and it probably will be for the near future. Why should newspapers give up between a third or ore of their revenue to an outside company? I don't see how this deal would help newspapers in the long term.

Draft saved Draft deleted