1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple releases virus that crashes Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ignorant and lacking humility: a dangerous combination.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

OK, update.

Apple's has posted a workaround (I refuse to call it a fix until I see that it works): uninstall, restart, redownload, reinstall. Do not use originally-downloaded installer.

No, really. That's the answer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2280

You only absolutely need iTunes 8 if you have one of the brand-new iPods released last week. So you can keep using 7.7 if you wish. And I suspect the problem will/would manifest on XP if you use last week's original iTunes 8 installer.

Apple seems to have thrown a bunch of extra surprises in with the original iTunes 8 installer, as well. Among them were driver updates and it looks like the USB controller they included caused the BSODs. There's also an undocumented addition: a driver called GEARaspiWDM.sys that is supposed to work with third-party software accessing CD and DVD drives. Unfortunately, we've known this is a problem driver for 8 years and that it typically leads directly to STOP errors (a/k/a Blue Screen of Death).

I'm rolling this guy back to iTunes 7.7.1 if I can. I may have to reconstruct his iTunes library. Haven't tried Apple's updated version of the iTunes 8 installer yet. And you're damn right I'm charging him. :D

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm still wondering what answer you found yourself since there is no answer besides what has already been stated.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Windows Mojave is Windows Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mojave_Experiment

It should be noted that the people in the commercials weren't subjected to driver and operating system installation. Might have changed their opinion.

Just remember that as Microsoft tries to talk people into switching from XP to Vista, they're also fast-tracking Windows 7 for a release within the next 9 to 15 months. I believe Win7 is going to be based on the Windows Server 2008 codebase.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which means what?

Wish you would talk in layman's terms sometimes.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I buy my songs from my iPod touch. Easy as 3.14159265...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

;D

Having not played with either Server 2008 or the Win7 alpha versions that have been released to developers, I'm not sure what the code base differences are yet. Same kernel as Vista; depends on what they do around the kernel in terms of user interface and security.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A CODEBASE IS. WOULD IT BE VISTA? WOULD IT BE XP? I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS TO ME AS A COMPUTER IDIOT!!!

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Which means they want you to buy Vista and give them money right before they put another another "new, shiny, fancy" operating system which will be "better" and you should buy it "immediately" thus giving them more money.

Or at least that's what I got out of it.

I used to beta test for Windows back in the day (beta'd 98, 2000, ME and Vista). All I can say is I'm damn happy to rep the Apple now.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My only experience with Vista was when I had to go to a Kinko's while on vacation to edit and send out a work document. I opened up Word and had no idea where to find the track changes function or even how to "save as." Thankfully I remembered to save the document in a format that non-Vista users could open or I would have been screwed. What should have taken me 10 minutes took longer because I couldn't find what I needed. Boo Vista.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I just got an iPhone last week. It crashed my PC (using XP, not vista) when there were photos on the phone, but not without the photos, so I think it has something to do wth that. Anway, I followed some google advice and discoverd it may be a conflict with other USB items. I disconnected my Logitech webcam (which I rarely use) and now it's fine.

Knock on wood.

12. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Um, that has nothing to do with Vista. Word is not a part of the OS; it'd be the same in XP. ... You probably were using Word 2007, which has a new interface that seems to be widely reviled. My daughter in college tried it, hated it and went back to Office 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted