1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple releases virus that crashes Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

... also known as iTunes 8. :D

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114468

<blockquote>September 11, 2008 (Computerworld)  Apple Inc.'s latest version of iTunes crashes Windows Vista when an iPod or iPhone is connected to the PC, scores of users have reported on Apple's support forum.

As soon as an iPod or iPhone is plugged into the PC, Vista crashes and shows the "blue screen of death" (BSOD), the critical error screen on a blue background that requires a reboot to recover, users said. The errors began showing up immediately after updating iTunes to Version 8.0, which Apple released Tuesday as part of its iPod refresh.

"I just installed iTunes 8 over my iTunes 7 on Vista (and) now whenever I plug in my iPod, I get a blue screen death. Three times so far. Even if it is plugged in on boot, I get a blue screen," said a user identified as "sambeckett" on the support forum about 90 minutes after Apple CEO Steve Jobs wrapped up the iPod launch.

The thread, which as of early Thursday had been viewed nearly 10,000 times and sported almost 300 messages, also quickly accumulated theories about the cause. The Vista error message, for example, fingered an Apple-provided USB driver, several users said. </blockquote>
    I can confirm that the bug exists and does this. Currently trying to track down previous version of iTunes to put on somebody's computer.

1stADD: If you do have this problem, the older version of iTunes is floating around on BitTorrent.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Buy a Mac, suckers :D

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm glad I read this. iTunes keeps prompting me to download v. 8.0, but I definitely won't knowing this is a distinct possibility.

4. i'm still on xp. if i download itunes8, do i have to worry?

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Very happy I read this. I was considering buying a new PC and I rely heavily upon iTunes. Anyone know any details of that new Windows Mojave that they are plugging on T.V. a lot?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Are you retarded? Watch the commercial again.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Got a new desktop a few months ago, with Vista. I can't even bring myself to use it, I hate the format so much.

Now I need a new laptop, and they all come with Vista. Freaking out over this.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think if you go through Dell's web site, you can get one with XP. I got one for my mom with XP on it for her birthday in May.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yes, I have watched it several times. They say it's still Vista, but I have no idea what this Mojave thing is. They don't relay a lot of information on the commercial. Watch it again, please.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What he said!

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, I haven't even seen the commercial but I googled it and know this in 10 seconds.

Kevin, there IS no Mojave. It's Vista. They tell people it's Mojave to get them past the mental block against Vista. Once they think it's not, they like it. So then they tell them it IS Vista, and everyone lives happily ever after.

It's like the Pizza Hut delivering pasta to the hoity toity restaurant. A great big switcheroo.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Is this related?:

Ever since my computer magically downloaded Safari -- Apple's new browser -- my IE has been crashing. I started using Safari, and no problems.

I didn't even know I had downloaded Safari until I noticed it in the lower left corner the other day.

I don't care which browswer I use, it's just kind of weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted