1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple gives employees extra paid time off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My company has done the same thing for the last 3 years.

The first year, we had to take 6 of our vacation days, or take them unpaid.

It was 4 last year. 3 this year. Supposedly they're phasing it out in 2012, but I'll believe it when I see it.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They'll take days you haven't earned out of your last paycheck.

As for European holiday policies, uh, yeah. Pretty awesome. Four weeks minimum in the U.K., as well, plus the eight bank holidays are mandatory paid holidays, so it's really 28. My U.S.-based employer tried to get away with just that, but they quickly figured out that just offering the minimum annoys people, so we now get five weeks.

Oh, and we got a bonus day off for the royal wedding, and we get one next year for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. :D

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I get three weeks vacation at my non-newspaper job. Plus 10 holidays. That's what you get when you're hired. The trade-off is we don't get another week vacation until 10 years. Still, 25 days off is pretty good.

For the five-year, I got some luggage - a carry-on, over-the-shoulder and a small carry-on roller. I don't remember getting anything for my five-year at the newspaper, but I could be forgetting.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Brodie, when I was active at an airline, I could never non-rev because I couldn't get time off either.

It's a great perk, but hard to use, I agree.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

At the airline I work at we have someone who works as many days/hours in a row that are legally allowed and then banks time to go on some pretty awesome trips thru interlines. It helps that he is in the control centre and able to shift trade to get the sched he needs but he is basically on a 1 - 2 week trip every 6 - 8 weeks.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Union rules made it difficult for us to do things like that, like limited trades based on position, etc. Not to mention, NRSA seats are harder to come by now. Though we did have several Ethiopians on staff that would manage two or three months off straight with vacation time and trades. But I could only trade with other sups, so it was near impossible.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My wife worked in the furniture industry for several years, and this is common practice there. Their plants close for a couple of weeks each year, Fourth of July and around Christmas. That's your vacation.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kind of similar at mine, though I start off with two weeks of vacation in the first year, then it goes to three weeks for years 2-5, then four weeks after five years. But there's also the week off at Christmas/New Year's and 10 holidays/extra days (Thanksgiving Friday, Christmas Eve). In fact, how the schedule falls this year and my work schedule, I'm getting nearly two weeks off without touching vacation time at the holidays. 25 days off this year, 30 next year.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Ok, I guess I have constitutional right to take my vacation when I want. You guys are right that they can do what they want and if I don't like it I can get another job.

As soon as I find one, I'm outta there.

Then they'll be sorry. :)

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I would go protest if I were you.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

What sucks is my employer just merged with another airline, but we can only trade with people who were employed by "our" airline before the merger. So there are like maybe 10 people (out of probably 95 total employees) who are the same status as me.

I have gotten to go on several trips so far. The reason I haven't done more is because I am paranoid about non-rev travel. I don't think three days is enough to go anywhere because you always need to have a full day to come back just in case.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For BB Bobcat, see if you can claim unemployment for that week if your state allows that. Some states have a waiting period where one week is unpaid.

Draft saved Draft deleted