1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple gives employees extra paid time off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's amazing because newspaper chains wouldn't do this, but Apple is giving corporate workers the entire Thanksgiving week off, paid of course, and retail and international employees can schedule their time off.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/13/apple_thanks_employees_with_extended_paid_thanksgiving_holiday.html

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Re: Apples gives employees extra paid time off

There are many, many organizations beyond newspaper chains that wouldn't do it, either.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Sure they do, you just don't get paid for it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just don't tell 'em how much paid vacation folks get in Europe. Or mention "paid maternity leave."

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving week is usually pretty sweet working at a newspaper - most of the honchos are "in and out" most of the week (mostly out) - the only bad thing is if you draw the short straw and have to "cover" the Black Friday crap and start your shift at 3 a.m. ("oh - and maybe you can work a split and come back later in the day to get feedback from retailers and check on the cops and fire calls?)

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wonder if the iPhone assemblers in Shenzhen get extra time off the line.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If only they were Apple employees.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Most newspaper chains would be figuring a way to furlough you out of "fears that the loss of Steve Jobs could make for uncertain economic times."

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/30/apple-chinese-factory-workers-suicides-humiliation

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A full week off with pay? That's nice, but there are other company perks out there I'd rather get.

Like the two free six packs per week at New Belgium Brewery, or the free European brewery trip you get after working there five years (I got a Swiss Army knife after five years here). Patagonia offers eight weeks paid maternity and paternity leave, an on-site child-care facility and paid sabbaticals to work for non-profit organizations.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think I get a paperweight for five years.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I got a hat with the company logo on it.

Looks ridiculous on me.

It's hanging in the garage.

Draft saved Draft deleted