1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple: Corporate Tax Rates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

just spitballing here, but is there a 19th century solution in all this? Tariffs. GE wants to say it's a foreign company for tax reasons? Fine, but they get to pay a surcharge on all business they do in the US. Everyone wants to lure them back with carrots when the stick could be effective too.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just facts. You're suggesting corporations should have no tax responsibilities when, in fact, they have more power and access to local, state and federal governments and accrue more benefits from local, state and federal governments than any other entity, human or not.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're right ... I don't think corporations should pay income taxes. I don't think wealth should be subject to double-taxation. Further, I think the fact that corporations are subject to income taxes opens up the U.S. tax code to just all sorts of shenanigans. I think corporate taxation diverts a lot of very smart, very creative minds into an activity that, in aggregate, is of no true economic value.

But I think you're also wrong in a very important way. Corporations don't accrue benefits ... the people who own them and choose to act (or continue to act) in concert do. Forcing the corporation to pay one tax and then forcing the owners to pay another is one way of settling accounts. But, in my opinion, it is a DREADFULLY inefficient and ill-advised way of doing so.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So should we then triple or quadruple capital gains tax rates to reflect the true value corporations stockholders receive in terms of land, water, roads, bridges, police, fire, regulatory, etc.?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You sure you're not Elizabeth Warren? :)

In all serious I am absolutely not dodging that issue, but I think that's entirely another kettle of fish. I believe that to be so, in part, because we have that damn corporate income tax, which means we have a hard time getting a handle on just who's paying and how much they should pay.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Corporation: An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility."

--Ambrose Bierce

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now that the chickens have come home to roost, its ironic that Apple and other high tech companies have been viewed as good socially responsible corporate citizens. while companies like Walmart have been portrayed as the anti Christ.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Where and by whom was Apple viewed as a good socially responsible corporate citizen?

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What helps Apple is that many of its biggest customers and artists/graphic designers/computer geeks who many times are more liberal than anything else. I have a friend who hates all things Republican yet ball washes for Apple and Steve Jobs any chances he gets.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Only two things are certain in life, and not even those are certain in the life of a corporation.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't done this in years, but when I left the business, almost no one was paying corportae taxes - everyone was forming as an LLC.

Draft saved Draft deleted