1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple: Corporate Tax Rates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being serious, but there is a robust high-tech industry there. It was part of the "Celtic Tiger" phenomenon of the '90s.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Think of it this way. When you comparison shop for an appliance, there is a point where you can't play dealers against each other because they can't go any lower. It's not worth it anymore for them -- the owner can't support his family if he barely makes any profit.

This is exactly what has happened in the world of corporate tax rates. There SEEMS to have been an equilibrium rate set organically -- it is somewhere in the 10 to 13 percent range (effective tax rate).

The U.S. probably can't compete at that rate, to be honest -- what it makes up in revenue from global companies it sees little from now, it might lose in revenue from less global companies that are U.S. based. That is the blessing AND the curse of having such a productive economy.

But that is what we are facing. If seeing Cisco and GE, etc. pay more in U.S. taxes is that important to people, we are going to have to get down to that 10 to 13 percent range.

I am not sure if the overall net revenue would be greater than where we are now, if we did.

It might be it or might not be, but we probably will never known until we see how much more revenue we can first derive from simplifying our tax code and rooting out all of the corruption -- the complicated deductions thrown in over time as special favors to various interests.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but as I recall when 60 Minutes went to Switzerland to investigate these corporate tax havens, it was an office with a sign, and not a whole lot more.

4. LongTimeListener

And if my purchase of a refrigerator had an impact on the livelihoods of 5,000 employees and the economic health of an entire nation, and I therefore had that kind of bargaining muscle, that would be a great analogy.

5. The Big Ragu

Did they go to Zug?

Zug, Switzerland is basically a shell of a town with a gazillion corporate subsidiaries of a person or two sitting in small offices.

6. LongTimeListener

That was an entertaining episode. They visited a corporate headquarters of a massive multinational based in Houston -- I don't think it was Halliburton -- and it was a basement office encompassing about 500 square feet, locked because the secretary was on her lunch break and so nobody was there.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Based on the corporate tax philosophy being espoused here, the U.S. should also lower the minimum wage to 43 cents a day, the better to match the global equilibrium.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Be that as it may, routing profit through a country doesn't require much staff. Also, how's that Celtic Tiger thing working out now? There's an awful lot of empty real estate that suggests that there aren't that many people working.

9. The Big Ragu

Markets set prices through competition.

1) That isn't a "philosophy." It's a reality, not a belief system.

2) As the world keeps globalizing, we are actually seeing the disparity in standard of living between countries start to equalize. What the U.S. has lost in jobs being exported, for example, China and India and Brazil have gained -- and the overall standard of living in those places has been rising at a fast clip. We don't have to "set" a wage. As globalization continues to bring about a higher standard of living worldwide, most of the gains former third world countries see are going to come at the expense of westernized countries that didn't have to compete as much on a global scale before. That isn't a "philosophy," either, or anything that needs to be "set." It's the reality of how competition works.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was Transocean, I believe.

I know this will sound dated and silly, but is there any point in shaming a GE or Transocean? That they enjoy the benefits and security of the United States, that perhaps they actually have a moral obligation to help pay for it?

I am ready to be laughed off the board.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's certainly my position.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Suits me. Whaddaya wanna bet that no one in the U.S. would wind up making only 43 cents a day?

Draft saved Draft deleted