1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appendectomies - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Dec 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Appendectomies

Is Wenders going to Baltimore? If so, maybe we can get a group rate on the operation! :D

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You should probably call and reserve the beds ahead of time, just in case! That way, everyone's in the same room! :p

3. eiregi

eiregi Member

Appendectomies today can be pretty routine, thank god for modern medicine... my episode was a rupture which spewed all sorts gunk that infected my intestines, resulting in a spreading internal gangrene, snip snip snip say goodbye lower intestines.... priest called... last rites administered... parents told hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... next day... doc tells parents the tiger pulled through. today many years later i have to explain to people, my food intake and lack of weight gain has nothing to do with a fast metabolism, but it takes an earlier exit.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Mine was scoped out on a Thursday night. I was back at work Monday morning.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Update from the hospital:

Brother is out of surgery. The appendix actually did indeed burst and affected his colon. My brother, not the brightest sun in the galaxy, tried to tough this out for a few days prior and it led to a rupture.

Doctors say he'll be fine. He'll have to stay in the hospital for 5 days with plenty of antibiotics but he should be fine otherwise.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Glad to hear that TD.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he will be OK... Don't be surprised if the hospital stay gets longer...

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

They've already taken his appendix. Next his wallet.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My dad's appendix burst but the hospitalized him for something else and didn't notice right away; before it was all said and done, they were administering him last rites and pints of blood.

He survived to come home from the hospital four weeks later.

Exactly nine months later, I came home from the hospital, as what's affectionately known in my family as "the PS."

10. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Wow 5 days. I was going crazy after 2. I couldn't handle it anymore. Now the only thing I can't handle are the bills. $25,000 for two days.

Since everyone is sharing their stories, I might as well share mine. One day while sitting at work my stomach started to hurt. I just bought a pop and thought maybe I drank it too fast. But about an hour later, it still hurt. I had just moved into a new place, so I decided to leave work early and just go home and lay down. I get home and I grabbed the wrong set of keys so I was locked out. Luckily a friend lives across town, so I just went over there for a few hours and laid down. I started to feel better but I knew something was wrong.
    I was about to go to the ER, but then my brother called and he needed me to help him as he was stranded on the freeway with no way of getting home. Four hours later, I left him on the side of the road with hopes a tow truck was on its way because I just couldn't stand up anymore. I drove myself the 45 minutes to the local ER and sat there for several hours watching and waiting.
    They knew once I checked in what was wrong, but that didn't stop them from giving me about four different tests (see $25,000). After about four hours the doctor said I needed to have it taken out. By this time it was around 3 a.m. and they had me resting until the morning. Well, on my way to the prep room (which is a scary place because there are about 400 nurses and you are in all your glory), I realized I had a meeting at work at 10 a.m. and nobody knew where I was. So I used some poor girls cell phone to call work and tell them I probably wouldn't be in for a few days.
    After several more hours of waiting, and signing what seemed like 40 pieces of paper, I remember going into the room where it was very cold and there were a lot of people. And next thing I know, I am getting yelled at by a nurse to wake up. I went home about 24 hours later, but it was the worst 24 hours of my life. I'm a stubborn person so I didn't want any help getting out of bed or anything, because I knew once I got home, I wouldn't have any help.
    The surgery happened on Tuesday and on Friday I spent most of the day out in the sun because it was July 4 (a big no-no with the meds I was on) and while I felt fine on Friday, Saturday I felt like I was about to die. So I slept the entire day. Sunday came and I was feeling better, and spent most of the day again in the sun. Monday I was on a plane across the country and all was well.

So tell your brother to listen to the doctors.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Holy crap.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's $25K with or without insurance?

Draft saved Draft deleted