1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appendectomies - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Re: Appendectomies

All I know for now is that he hasn't had it taken out yet because his potassium levels were low. They've got an IV drip going right now to correct that and they're giving him pain meds (Demerol I think). He's scheduled to go into surgery soon.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Mmmm ... Demerol.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I thought the same thing, but didn't say it because T_D was wanting to keep the thread on a serious note.

Oops. I spoke out loud again ...

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I had mine out a few years ago... three holes and it was out and I was back to working the desk four nights later. If it had burst, I would have been out two weeks or more.

Very routine stuff.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks, and I don't mind some of the jokes, but when it got to the point of this thread not being serious then I got a little mad. Imagine that? Me getting steamed on SportsJournalists.com :D

Far as I know it didn't burst, I'm sure I would've heard something if it had.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Woke up one Friday night about 3 a.m. after a night at the bar and turning in my two-week notice to move down here.
    Thought it was too much beer, tossed and turned all night.
    In the morning, drove down to get tires put on my car, walked home, stopping at CVS on the way home to get some Maalox. Car was ready a couple hours later and determined it wasn't gas, it might be appendicitis.
    So I drove to the hospital, went to ER, where they ran tests and said "yes, you need the appendix out."
    Called Ms. Slappy who broke down in tears that she wasn't there for me (still 700 miles away) and a buddy of mine to say "just so you know, I;m getting my appendix out in case something happens."
    had the appendix out, woke up, and Nurse Ratchett said that once I could pee and it didn't hurt I could go home. Told the docs on morning rounds, no morphine since I was driving home and they'd put liquid Tylenol in the IV drip. Couple hours later, no painkiller had shown up and Nurse Ratchett and I were ready to go to blows.
    Lay down for a while, finally peed, lay back down and an hour later she came back to chew me out because i was still in bed and not trying to pee. First and only time I have ever told a caregiver to "fuck yourself. Show up once in a while and you might know this."
    I checked out, drove myself home (tho getting in and out of the car to buy a Sunday paper was an adventure) and stayed there. Sneezing was an adventure, coughing a thrill. Oh, and I had to start packing as best i could to move.
    By Wednesday, I felt good enough to go to the bar and order food. Waitress asked where I was and I said "Billy didn't tell you?" She said no and when I explained was mortified and how I should have called and they would have brought me lunch.
    Was back at work eight days after getting the appendix out; and when Ms. Slappy and her friend flew up to move me back five days after I went to work for my last week on the job, they packed the whole van (with help on big stuff from some bar buddies) because the doc said I couldn't move heavy things for a while. Didn't have to unpack it either.
    Everyonce in a while, she'll ask me to pick something up and I'll say "I can't; I have stitches." The glare is worth it.

7. KG

KG Active Member

My dad had his appendix burst, but he just so happen to already be in the ER when it happened. He was back to work in a week and a half.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Yeah, anesthesia and low potassium ain't a good combo.
    I'll vouch.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have had three experiences. One I'm not willing to share because it was horrific and I was really young.

The first one...I was two weeks into college and I came back to the dorm from rowing practice. My roommate said she was feeling absolutely horrible and she was GRAY. I mean, the girl had no color, said she was feeling really weak, couldn't even get out of bed, etc. Finally, after three hours, she starts throwing up and she couldn't sit up, so she was sitting in a chair with a cardboard box behind her for support and two friends helping hold her up. I basically told them it was time to take her to the hospital. THAT'S how horrible she looked. Five hours of waiting later, our RA comes back to get some of her stuff and that she's getting her appendix taken out. All of her family lived two states away, so me and her psuedo-sorority sisters were all she had. If I would have known how the roommate thing with her was going to go south, I probably wouldn't have been as nice but I washed all of her sheets, switched beds with her (she was in a loft and couldn't, obviously climb up there) and had everything ready to go when she came back.

She was out of school for the rest of the week. I would say six weeks and she was all healed and able to get back in her loft and everything. But this girl also used that whole experience for why she was behind on her work for the rest of the semester. It wasn't her incessant partying, it was the fact that she had a small medical operation two weeks into the semester. Of course.

The second one was the year after (I was the Grim Reaper of appendices in the dorm) and right before Christmas break, this girl who I had went to high school with got really sick. Everyone thought she had the flu and therefore stayed away from her room. I was literally the only one going in to check on her. She had a horrible fever, I kept trying to get ibuprophen into her to bring her fever in. She couldn't keep any sort of fluid down, not even water. After not being able to keep anything down for several hours, I went, retrieved my car, got some help (she weighed over twice what I did) and got her down to my car and drove her to the hospital and called her mom to come meet us at the hospital. (We had a bad RA that semester and I believed she was out partying that night.) I stayed with her mom until she went into surgery. Unfortunately, because of the timing, she wasn't able to recover in time to take her finals so she ended up flunking out so I don't know how long it was before she was back on her feet.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Moral of the story: If you're going to hang out with Wenders, just get the appendectomy beforehand.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yup. Basically. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted