1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently, there is such a thing as a free lunch

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I went out to lunch today, to a barbecue joint owned by a local coach's family. A few minutes after my food came, the waitress comes over and says another customer asked for my ticket and paid for my meal. I have no idea who did this, and neither did the waitress. Said she's never seen them in there before. The coach who owns the place has thrown a few freebies my way before, but I know it wasn't him this time.
    So, obviously, this person knows who I am. A lot of parents, boosters, etc. of the coach's school eat lunch at this place. And I'm appreciative for the gesture. For some reason, though, I can't help but wonder if this was some sort of ethical violation. Or maybe I'm just feeling guilty because I didn't get a chance to thank them. I don't know. Maybe I'm just uneasy. Why do I feel this way?
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because you're being stalked.
  3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Sorry you feel that way. You looked hungry and I was just trying to be nice.
  4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your hopes of getting an NCAA scholarship are dead now, Batboy.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I hope you remembered to tip well.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That I did. Left a $5 bill (the check would have been around $11).
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I was referring to DC. He got the check, he can get the tip too. :D
  9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

That's not fair.
  10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So, just to clarify: The coach buys you meals all the time, but that's not of an ethical concern to you? But the boosters would be?

I'm not judging. Don't care either way. Just trying to make sure I'm reading it right.
  11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't think it's an ethical violation, because it's not something you did on purpose. But if you feel bad about it, then pass the favor on. Pick up someone else's check next time you go out to eat.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It just so happens I'll be hanging out (not loitering) by the Plain Dealer tomorrow, by chance. You can swing by with some caviar or a hot dog or something.
Draft saved Draft deleted