1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently JDV isn't the only one who edits Wikipedia pages

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Aug 15, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6947532.stm

This isn't very surprising stuff... to me at least. IP addresses that match up to the CIA and the Vatican (among others) have edited various Wikipedia pages to shape opinion. This is what you get in a world in which perception is reality.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So I guess I should stop editing random celebrities' deaths in to see if anyone falls for it?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

JM J. BULLOCK DIED??

Oh, it's just Meat's editing. You bastard.

4. Hmm, better go check the Wikipedia entry on Brook Jacoby.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Barbara Bush won the Heisman Trophy. That was my favorite.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Apparently, this week, as well (I'm trying to find a link to it), Bill O'Reilly's page was changed to eliminate any mention of his love for loofah. Shepard Smith's page was changed to eliminate the part where he ran over a reporter in 2000 over a parking space. Fox News Channel's page was changed to make their ratings much higher than actually is, and MSNBC's and CNN's much lower than actual numbers. Keith Olbermann's page was changed to make it as though he made fun of Peter Jennings' death. Someone decided to trace the IP of where the edits came from, as they all matched. Guess where it game from? No, really, one guess. C'mon, you can do it...

Yep, the NYC building that houses....drum roll, please....THE FOX NEWS CHANNEL!

Fair and balanced, my ass.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice job... fair and balanced indeed.

And we're at war with Eastasia. We've always been at war with Eastasia.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And my second guess would have been Yawn.

9. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Wow, I can't seem to find any reference to this from any REAL news outlet (NYT, LAT, etc.). Only from BLOGS!

Why didn't you mention that the DNC got caught doing some guerilla editing of entries?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My guess would have been the DNC, since someone there already has the tendency.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm still looking, actually.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's in the original story I linked to. It said they edited Rush Limbaugh's page: "The changes brand Mr Limbaugh as "idiotic," a "racist", and a "bigot". An entry about his audience now reads: "Most of them are legally retarded." "

Draft saved Draft deleted