1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently, I'm now a shareholder in ... *gasp* ... Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, May 27, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So says my wife. Her grandfather (mother's father) apparently got in on the ground floor and has thousands of shares in the company. He gives his grandchildren one share every year for Christmas (my wife has 20 or so, I think). It appears I was added to the list this past Christmas. He gave my wife her usual share, and also gave me a share.

I'm now a Wal-Mart shareholder. Fuck.

What do I do? I've been secretly hoping for the company's demise for years. Do I continue to fight the good fight (a fight that accomplishes absolutely nothing, by the way), or should I be selfish and root for Wal-Mart's continued prosperity?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Have you considered murder/suicide?
    Take out gramps and spup, then off yourself.

3. You get yours! Go Wal-mart!

Meanwhile, I'll continue to root for ExxonMobil to prosper, as I have several shares of stock in the company.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Go to the shareholder's meeting and raise hell.

Maybe you'll get tasered. :)

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well now I'm torn. I used to enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's cold. :(

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hell, with the amount I spend there, you and spup could go on a cruise on my portion alone.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because of your newly acquired status, demand to be a greeter for a day.

Preferably at one of the 24 hour stores and ask for the midnight till seven shift.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Unfortunately, no. The reason the topic came up was because the dividend check came in. A whopping 50 cents. Huzzah! I'm thinking of selling my share and buying stock in Media General, or maybe 500 shares in JRC. What could possibly go wrong?

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It's only one share. I'm pretty sure you can continue to root for their demise and not feel bad about it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good for you doc. It's a profitable company. I wouldn't spend one minute pondering whether I had become what I loathe. Virtually any large company you can own stock in is going to have similar skeletons to those in Wal-Mart's closet. Take comfort in the fact that you hate them and they're financially supporting you.

Now, since you're in ownership, I wonder if you can do anything about the company's stance on eminent domain laws?

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dude, it's one share; no need to compromise your ideals and values over that.

Now, if gramps ever comes through and drops hundreds or perhaps, a thou shares on you, well, you may want to consider hanging a picture of Sam Walton in the living room.

Draft saved Draft deleted