1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently getting pregnant is grounds for firing in Eugene

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Not to make like of the situation. But I think it needs to be pointed out that the lead paragraph of the article linked to is could have been trimmed:

If that date is there, the"in the rain" doesn't need to be.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

At the first sign of a long-term medical issue, kiss your ass goodbye. Happened to me, it will happen to you.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So she wasn't fired for getting pregnant?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Happened to me, too.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How is it any different from checking email on your furlough day?

Yet another reason I'm glad I never could access work email from my home computer or laptop.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would agree with Mark and look into disability days being similar HR-wise to furlough days, which checking emails on is a big no-no.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can understand it being a disciplinary issue, but firing seems pretty extreme.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Only if it has specifically and unmistakably been designated as such.

I would bet most people who can log onto work emails at home do so occasionally during weekends, off days, and vacations, only to make sure they're not met with an avalanche of piled-up crap when they get back to work -- and also to head off any sudden crisis situations which could erupt if some vital contact sent you a crucial email, not knowing you weren't due back at work for 16 days.

I always figured, if I was on vacation for 16 days, it was worth spending 5 minutes two or three times during the vacation to delete out all the bullshit, forward any urgent stuff on to the editor (or whoever was filling in for me), if it got me out of having to shovel through an hour's worth of bullshit, or deal with some festering time-bomb situation, the day I got back to work.

In fact, I would bet the huge majority of staff writers who don't work strictly on a clock-in/clock-out basis (and must intermittently do some work at home) check work emails periodically at home.

Unless the R-G has a very explicit policy (issued formally in memos) that logging in to work email from home on a day off is in itself a firing offense, I have to think they're fucked in the upcoming lawsuit.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Furloughs are treated differently and regulated by the government -- as a protection to the worker. The company can get into big trouble if it is furloughing workers and then having them work (I'm sure we all know some companies that might be motivated to do that). So when the furlough maneuver became a thing seven or eight years ago, the guidance from legal was that they absolutely, positively could not have any connection to work.

It's still a complete dick move by the R-G, of course, and an end-around to whatever reason they really wanted to get rid of her. But a furlough is not similar to a vacation day or a normal day off.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Agreed. I wonder what the R-G's spin on this will be, if they say anything at all. Seems like an awfully risky move, at least based on the information that has come out thus far.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Disability is different than a vacation day or a non working day.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But is softball different from baseball?

Draft saved Draft deleted