1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently getting pregnant is grounds for firing in Eugene

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 4, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Per Romenesko this morning. A Eugene Register-Guard reporter was fired while on pregnancy disability leave for -- get this -- checking her e-mail and deleting/forwarding messages. They call it "destruction of company property".

She wasn't a sports reporter, but I thought I'd post this. WOW.

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/20140403/news-features/reporter-fired-checking-email

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The R-G's fucked on this one, as it should be.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, at least with a new baby she'll have an additional set of eyes to edit her freelance stuff. [/crossthread]

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Something tells me the RG will find itself on the other side of the table on this one. This looks really bad. My guess is a non-disclosure settlement within a month. Forget the potential legal liability, the bad press (deserved or not) could wipe out any profit margin for the foreseeable future.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Easy for me to say because it isn't my paycheck, but this is a case where a staff walkout would probably do the trick. Paper isn't going to want to answer these questions, nor will it want to go dark for a day or two.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

He wasn't terminated. They decided they wouldn't be using him as a freelancer anymore.
    What happened to this woman is BS. If the RG wants to win the inevitable lawsuit, aren't they going to have to prove that every deleted email gets approval from management to be deleted? I hope she gets paid a ton for this.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Instead of striking, just have everyone call in sick to their boss that day. Get paid the sick day and still sit out.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You would also think, by now, that management would know that when they pull shit like this, they're going viral.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If she does, it'll come largely at the hands of current RG employees.

That's the trump card companies have much of the time. Hit us with an unexpected $2 million hole in our budget? We'll make that up by letting 10 employees go, cutting travel and stop matching on 401(k)s. Problem solved.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The paper doesn't carry any type of insurance to cover the payout?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's a newspaper, so...

Draft saved Draft deleted