1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently ESPN has decided to make an official defense of Kelvin Sampson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Jim O'Brien case still has the higher-ups in Bloomington a bit uneasy. That's the only explanation for how Sampson got $750,000 to go away when it's no secret that he broke the rules - repeatedly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3258506

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Also, how badly did they have to persuade Erin Andrews (schwing) to ask questions about his future earlier this week on the air?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remember tho, ESPN is personality driven -- with opinions, not hard news...

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Looks to me like FoxSports was right all along. You can pull all the semantics you want, but he was fired.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, except they backed off that original report and later said Sampson was going to be suspended without pay. I don't think they can take a lot of credit for this one.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not this time.

He was pretty clear during last weekend's game that he thought Sampson would be gone, and he sounded like he thought it was a good idea.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It wouldn't surprise me if Goodman got the scoop on this story because he was helping Sampson make those phone calls.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

College basketball coaches can seemingly do anything they want and the Billy Packer and Vitale types will still defend them. It seems like football coaches are more willing to call out other football coaches. I don't know why that is.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hadn't heard that.

A busted clock's right, twice a day.

10. scribbler

scribbler Member

Just for fun, did anyone notice how Bilas' tune changed over the last few days? At first, he was spouting something near a hard line about Sampson. Then, he did an about face, talking about how it was only 577 calls over a FOUR-YEAR period at Oklahoma, and how many other schools reported similar secondary violations, and so on. ... In other words, he talked to Sampson, and Sampson gave him his incredible justification/spin -- and he bought it.

Nice.

11. Dick's being tough on Sampson as a way of rehabbing his good friend, THE GENERAL ROBERT MONTGOMERY KNIGHT!

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think Sampson should keep his job, either.

But I get the creeping sense that the motivation of some of you is that you just like to see somebody's ass get chafed.

Always one of the more endearing traits of beat writers everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted