1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently ESPN has decided to make an official defense of Kelvin Sampson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 22, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think the original report said, according to sources, the decision had been made to fire Sampson.
    Apparently, that decision has not yet been made, therefore that report was not entirely accurate...which is why Fox started backpedalling

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe it was "numerous" sources.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it semantics if he is "suspended" for the rest of this season and doesn't coach again?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think any of these people who reported he was out yesterday had any real inside sources.

I think they decided to be first and go with what everyone assumed was going to happen. Their "sources" were people on the fringe making the same educated guess.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm with Ace on this one.

Indian will make some kind of announcement today, it seems.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

oh, i agree there's a level of semantics at play; but when one reporter has a) fired and another has b) suspended with pay for the rest of the season and b) happens, reporter b is more accurate even if sampson is fired in three months.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The "with pay" is key. Still, he isn't going to coach again either way.
    Or is he? They said anything yet?

8. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

nothing official yet.
    katz just said suspended without pay.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Goodman now saying he will be suspended for the rest of the season. And here's his excuse for yesterday's inaccuracies:

Initially on Thursday, two sources told FOXSports.com that Sampson would be immediately terminated. However, one of the sources later backtracked, saying Sampson would either be fired or suspended. The second source steadfastly maintains that Sampson will be fired.

"He's not lasting past Friday," the source told FOXSports.com.

When asked to confirm whether Sampson is done at Indiana, Campbell told FOXSports.com, "I don't know that to be true."

10. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Musberger's words at the end of the Hoosiers' last game were completely unforgivable. Something along the lines of, "We can only hope he's on the sideline Saturday." We??? WTF?
    That should warrant discipline from ESPN right there. No, Brent shouldn't say, "We can only hope this huckster gets fired by Saturday." But neither should he say the opposite. I'm sure this is DB'ing from a Sampson thread, so apologies for that. Still couldn't believe what I was hearing when Brent dropped that line. Unreal.

11. I share your outrage.
    However, I am forced to ask, how often have you watched television?

12. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

A fine point, FB. I realize this kind of stuff happens all the time. This just happened to be one instance where I was tuned in only to the game, with no other distractions at the moment, and heard the whole sentiment. I flew off the handle. Unbelievable, yet, as you rightly pointed out, totally believable in TV these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted