1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appalachian State will never beat Michigan again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Feb 13, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because the Big 10 is allegedly going to stop scheduling FCS teams.

The irony of Wisconsin's AD decrying weak scheduling is just the most obvious funny here. A close runner-up is his not knowing what Division I is.

Nevertheless, if it sticks, this would have major connotations for a lot of football programs, not least Midwestern FCS teams. No indication of when it would take effect; ESPN suggests as of 2016.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8942451/barry-alvarez-says-big-ten-schedule-fcs-teams

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or, Michigan will always have a lifetime .000 record against the Mountaineers.

In truth, App State would probably jump to 1-A if the Sun Belt or C-USA offered.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I posted this in the BCS expansion thread but this should help North Dakota State's strength of schedule now that they won't be playing Minnesota anymore.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love the move... I hope every major conference follows suit.

5. the_zuniga

the_zuniga New Member

They have a game scheduled for 2014. Is that cancelled?

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

This is going to kill some programs, and not just football, at FCS schools. Some of them use the money from those games to fund non-revenue sports.

7. Armchair_QB

This "ban" hasn't been announced by the Big 10 yet. But if it comes to pass my guess is Wisky and every other Big 10 school can afford to buy out an FCS opponent.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very true, but right now, it's just the Big 10 doing this. The FCS schools won't panic until the SEC follows suit. The SEC is probably funding a nice portion of the athletic programs at several of those schools...

I still like the move.

9. Armchair_QB

In 2014, if a ninth conference game is added and no FCS opponents are allowed:

Illinois: Drop Youngstown St., find two FBS opponents to get to 12 games.
    Indiana: Drop Indiana St., find one FBS opponent
    Iowa: Drop UNI
    Maryland: Find two FBS opponents
    Michigan: Drop Appalachian St. (no joke, App State is on their schedule)
    Michigan St.: Drop Jacksonville St.
    Minnesota: Drop Eastern Illinois
    Nebraska: Drop McNeese St.
    Northwestern: Drop Western Illinois, find two FBS opponents
    Ohio St.: No FCS teams scheduled drop one of Navy, Kent St., Virginia Tech or Cincinnati
    Rutgers: Drop Howard, find one FBS opponent
    Penn State: No change. Already has three FBS opponents and no FCS opponents scheduled with one date TBD
    Purdue: Drop SIU, find one FBS opponent
    Wisconsin: Find one FBS opponent

10. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Some schools are already scheduled out as far as 2018 with games. Granted the guarantee money is a drop in the bucket with their budgets, if the contract is signed the FCS programs get the money regardless of whether the game is played or not.

11. Armchair_QB

Those contracts usually have a guarantee amount if the game is played and a buyout amount if it isn't.

Where this gets tricky is when state legislatures get involved. I believe Iowa and Iowa State are both required by state law to play UNI every other year. Not sure if any other Big 10 schools are in that position with their in-state FCS brethren.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Toledo, Ball State and Buffalo, you have calls on lines 1-through 12.

Draft saved Draft deleted