1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

App. St/Michigan stories: Personal Favorites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Sep 2, 2007.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Shall we now hijack the thread and talk best Oregon/Michigan stories or, pretell, best App St./Lenoir-Rhyne tomes?

The SI story clearly was rushed and told through a limited amount of viewpoints. Not sure if I can blame them for the short and average effort. Don't know what their deadlines were like or what kind of shakeup took place to get it slotted.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

i completely agree with you, huck. It's why I'm letting my subscription run out. Gary Smith's piece on Randy Shannon was excellent, but those stories are so few and far between anymore.
    Over the 10 years I've gotten the mag, it's gotten worse and worse. I, too, cringed on those errors. There were a few others I read in other stories and I can't recall them off top of my head right now, but the mag is a skeleton of what it used to be. If it's because they're dedicating more resources to their Web site, they're losing dedicated magazine readers. I want nothing to do with their Web site, just a mag I can lounge with and pack in my suitcase folded up or read in the car or on the pot.

3. I feel the very same, it's just that Rick Reilly is worth the price of admission. He's the best in the biz. Sure he lays an egg every now and then, but who doesn't? The piece he did in the Sept. 3 NFL Preview issue titled "Getting a Second Wind" was just another reason he keeps the magazine afloat.

When he quits or starts mailing them in, I'll drop my subscription too.

Some people liked Rushkin, I never did. But I can't do without my weekly Reilly fix. And the Leading Off Photos are pretty captivating. To hell with the rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted