1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

App. St/Michigan stories: Personal Favorites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Sep 2, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Did you guys find any interesting takes on the game? I've read a few columns - Rosenberg, Forde and a few gamers - but am interested in what you fellas read. Too bad most of us couldn't actually watch it, either. Thanks Big-10.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

I was intrigued that neither Johnson City nor Asheville staffed the game but put together reaction sidebars over the phone or at a sports bar. Boone's paper is a weekly, so I didn't see a gamer from the hometown product either.

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I also noticed NY Times had one reporter in Boone, and another - Thayer Evans - in Houston. Anyway, I liked this one from the Ann Arbor News.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/09/carty_appalachian_state_earns.html

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or the Ann Arbor News.

5. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

That's what I meant. :)

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That paper is a rag compared to the Times, or the Detroit Sun-Herald. :D

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

From the Ann Arbor story:

Then there was Edwards, the beautiful little quarterback from Greenwood, S.C.
    He committed to Moore early in his senior year.

As he kept playing better, Clemson came calling with an offer to play wide receiver. What kid turns down Clemson to play I-AA football at Appalachian State?

Edwards did.

"I didn't want to decommit," he said. "I wanted them to have trust in me, so they got my trust."

There is justice in the world.

You gotta love a kid like that.

He deserved yesterday.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Carty had the best piece I've seen. A great idea to dive into how many of those ASU players ended up at ASU.

9. yep, nicely done by Carty

i think there's a tendency with something this huge to overwrite and try too hard

he didn't try too hard, just told the story

10. You got a linkedy link?

11. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2007/09/carty_appalachian_state_earns.html

12. Thanks much.

Draft saved Draft deleted