1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apollo 11 press conference was awkward

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised looking at the cost of the entire Apollo program would be about $135 billion in today's dollars - compared to the $787 billion stimulus package.

I get the appeal of manned flight, but I doubt we would have made it to the moon if we weren't engaged in a dick measuring contest with the USSR. Truth is, if the point of the project is the science, it can be done cheaper and more efficiently without worrying about humans. With current technology, a trip to Mars (there and back, including time spent awaiting planets to line up for return trip) would be almost two years. Two freaking years! I kind of like the idea they have now of going to the Moon and perhaps setting up a "base" for extended stays.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Since Collins had to stay in the vehicle, the other two guys let him pick which 8-tracks they listened to on the trip.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another book I'd recommend is "A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaikin. Tom Hanks later adapted it into a multi-part miniseries for HBO, both of which are excellent.

What I really like about the book is that the first landing is actually only about a third of the way in. Then, they do a great job telling the individual stories of each mission, including the much-less heralded ones. (Can anyone name a member of the Apollo 16 crew without looking on Wikipedia?)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or to the $889 billion spent in Afghanistan/Iraq (so far).
    Or the $670 billion for Vietnam (inflation adjusted).

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

FYI, "From The Earth to the Moon" DVD set is only $10.99 at Amazon.

6. "From the Earth to the Moon" is outstanding. I got it at Sam's Club not too long ago for $10.

It's a slight tangent, but if you've got the "Apollo 13" DVD, listen to the commentary track with Jim Lovell and his wife. Terrific stuff.
    One great moment: When they talk about the scene where the movie shows Lovell (Hanks) fantasizing about walking on the moon as they pass by, knowing he has lost that chance, Marilyn describes how emotional she got seeing that scene for the first time - then actually gets choked up again talking about it.
    Lovell also debunks the whole Mattingly/Schweigert (Sinise/Bacon) rivalry storyline.

Draft saved Draft deleted