1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apocalypto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It really is a crap title. The combo of the title and unenticing trailers give it a lot to overcome.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

So that excuses Mel...how?

As for not seeing movies starring/directed by complete freaks, I don't see Tom Cruise movies because he sucks. and he's a freak.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Chinatown is a truly great movie, and ignoring it because of Roman Polanski is fucktarded.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I actually thought about ignoring Mel's most recent product because of his buffoonery, but the reviews led me to go today.

I will say this about Mel. He's crazy and has some extreme and unsavory views, but he can make the hell out of a movie. Apocalypto was a visual feast and a bloody epic. It didn't have the scale of Gladiator or Troy except in certain parts, but I found it thoroughly entertaining. The fact that they spoke Yucatec Maya the entire time was interesting as well.

ADD: Plus it has boobs, but only in a National Geographic kind of way.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Because I excuse him... that's how.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Geoff Pevere, arguably one of the best film critics, weighs in:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1165531810831&call_pageid=976600361453&col=969048864482

If, as a filmmaker, the obviously soul-stricken former movie star is an unabashed red-meat primitivist, he's also become an undeniably polished one. Considered purely in popcorn terms, Apocalypto plays like a mid-'30s Saturday afternoon jungle serial as made by some unholy genetic scrambling of John Woo and David Lean. With a bit of Ayn Rand tossed in.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Well, Columbo...have you ever accused Jews of starting all wars? There are two kinds of drunken statements: the stupid ones (I love you man...I wish I could ride an ostrich....wow, Linda Cohn looks hot. I'd totally pee in her butt) and the truth-revealing ones (I never told you this, but I've always had a crush on you....or suddenly using ephithets to describe minorities...or Sugar tits, did you know that the Jews have started all the wars). I can give a guy a pass for the stupid ones. But the ones that reveal what he is actually thinking when his inhibitions are gone, you can't let those pass.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

So you fire racial slurs at people when boozed up?

And believe it or not, I can believe you say nasty shit. Even when sober.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That took a lot longer than I expected.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Uhhhh, what? the? fuck?

Dude, I've told you this before, metaphors are a beautiful thing ... in moderation ... but you went one Linda Cohn urination-in-the-ass-crack reference over the line this time.

Stopped me dead cold in my tracks. Didn't even read the rest of the post, hence the abrupt quote function end above.

For all I know, you mentioned how they hook Kenny Mayne to a soul-sucking succubus to give him that odd animatronic gait and camera air he has about him. That would also explain those unwatchable Progressive commercials. :D

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No....

But there is plenty of utter embarrassment that I can lay claim to while fueled up.

And he had some shit planted deep in him when he was a kid. I don't know if all the adult scrubbing in the world can clean that up. And he also dealt with the vociferous Jewish reaction to POTC, most of it from people who didn't see the film. He has some shit in there.

And, if Mel's first transgression of any sort comes in the form of some drunken words.... It doesn't trouble me that much, considering the spotlight is on him all the time.

Or, did he he beat the hell out of a Hasidim, also, and I missed that?

Draft saved Draft deleted