1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apathetic about divisive issues?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gospringboks, Aug 31, 2007.

1. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

The Iowa same-sex marriage got me thinking (and I didn't want to threadjack over there). I have a strong opinion about basically every divisive issue facing our country -- abortion, drug use, politics, etc. -- yet when it comes to same-sex marriage, I really don't care one way or the other. States still barring gays and lesbians from getting married? I shrug my shoulders. They allow them to get hitched? That's fine too.

Is there anything out there about which everyone else has an opinion except (seemingly) you?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Presidential Politics - The difference between Democrats and Republicans is hair thin. Both suck up to big business and allow lobbyists and polls to set agendas. I care more about the school board and city director elections in my town.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm kinda apathetic to apathy. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

But I tend to shrug my shoulders when the divisive issue of important things like Facebook vs. Myspace, when -- or when not -- to call a girl someone just met or Fantasy League settings are debated.

I do double shrug of the shoulders to the designated hitter.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

God, life must suck for all those people so far beneath you.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Interleague play.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

beneath me? nah. Just interested in things I'm apathetic toward.

Kind of like you, or others, might be apathetic to things I think are important. I don't pretend someone assumes they are above or below me just because we don't share the same level of interest in something.

7. stan_solo

stan_solo New Member

Tuna vs. shrimp. Who cares? Both are tasty treats.

8. Jameson v. Clontarf?
    No damn Bushmills, though.
    Strained through the wrong Bible.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

less filling or tastes great?

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Abortion. I figure that's for women to decide.

National politics. Democracy gave way to shameless capitalism a long time ago.

And, of course, Bryant Gumbel, Jim Rome and Jim Gray. Among plenty of others.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Some people love NASCAR, some think it's a bunch of yahoos. Doesn't really engage me either way.
    I'm morally opposed to the death penalty, but the sides are so played out and it affects so few people that I'm indifferent toward any ongoing discussion yea or nay.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

while the part about them both sucking up to business and lobbyists is 100 percent true, the statement that the difference is "hair thin" couldn't be more wrong. just to take the 2004 election for an example, kerry and bush disagreed on literally 99.9 percent of the issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted