1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment neighbor issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Feb 26, 2012.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Unexpected all-nighter at work a few months ago, got home in the AM without realizing that my really annoying beeping alarm clock had been on for a half-hour before self-stopping.

Some pissed-off person left a rubber on my doorknob.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, where to begin ...

I lived in apartments for the better part of 12 years before I finally bought my house. The first one I lived in out of college I was on the ground floor, and I had no problem with the first neighbor (except the time he was hammered and his brother locked him out and he banged on the door really, really HARD, for like 30 minutes. Then he tried to climb up onto his patio, but stumbled into the bushes. I just went to bed. Sure as hell didn't want him crashing on my couch).
    The next-door neighbor was a fairly attractive older woman who clearly had a major drinking/depression problem. She was wheeled out by the paramedics at least once.
    The next guy who moved in upstairs was like a bull in a china shop. Stomping back and forth all day and night, then periodically either beating up his girlfriend or having some really rough sex. It was like being under the wrestling ring during a WWF match. I did bang on the ceiling a few times with that guy. And I think I called the office once, and he tried to run me over in the parking lot the next time he saw me.
    Then one night I get home and I am on the computer, which is on a desk adjacent to my bathroom. I realize the floor is absolutely soaked. A friend I was chatting online with said I needed to call the emergency office number cause the guy might be dead in the bathtub or something. I did, and they banged on his door and woke him up at 3 a.m. I don't think he ws a happy camper. I think he passed out with the tub running or something. I didn't live there much longer, and I made sure to get a second-floor apartment from then on.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Best line I heard through the walls of my roomate's fuck session with a REALLY WHOREY SLUT:

"Fuck me...uh, yeah....fuck me...like you hate me!"

I asked him the next day what the hell that was about...he said he almost busted out laughing at her. SOMEONE had daddy issues....

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The best kind of neighbor.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Oh, apartment living, how I do not miss you one bit. Lived in a complex for 6 years. Had the same apartment for 5 3/4.

The parking lot in the center was originally where a pool was. It was filled in and paved over after a 5-year old drowned in it (long before I moved in).

My original downstairs neighbor was the owner's mother, who acted as the landlord. That was OK. The next one was a girl who used to play tennis at the high school. And whenever she was dating someone, well, she preferred sex in the morning.

The neighbor after her was a couple. She had a baby about 6 months in. I never complained about the baby because, well, that's life. But someone else must have because they left shortly after and it looked like the new owners were making sure they left quickly.

Then the owners moved their son down below me. Even the manager they'd hired was baffled by it. Why? Because he was a loser alcoholic. I called the cops on him four times. I had never called the cops or even complained to a landlord or a manager before. After the fourth time, I demanded to be moved.

They moved me. Above the other son. And his girlfriend, who complained that I walked too loud. I stayed in that apartment less than two months and moved into a rental home.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

When I got my first job out of college, I made circus peanuts as a one-man sports section. I got an apartment in a three story complex and I had a second-story apartment.

A Friday night after running a fire drill around the news room to get out my pages I came home at 4 a.m. and apparently forgot to lock my door behind me. I grabbed a beer and almost instantly fell asleep on the couch.

I woke up about an hour later to see a spaced-out man standing, swaying in the middle of my living room ,really confused.

I had my sports memorabilia displayed on my wall at the time, so I grabbed an Eric Davis-signed Louisville Sluggle from the wall and told the guy to get the fuck out of there. I soon realized he was just confused as to which floor his apartment was on, and gave him a shove out my door before closing it.

The next day I received a phone call from my landlord saying he heard a complaint about me bullying a fellow tenant.

The guy was lucky I didn't take an Eric Davis-sized cut at his head in my startled state.

Two months later the same druggie and/or wino mistook my second-story apartment for his third-story apartment again and kept pounding on my now-locked door for 20 minutes at 3 a.m. before the cops could arrive.

I kept waiting for a phone call accusing me of harassing a fellow tenant.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've got plenty of apartment stories and issues but I'm going to address your problem MM. IF YOU DID as you said, I wouldn't worry about it. I would continue doing as you do. If the a-hole calls the cops, you march down there with them and have it on record what you did. Also report the incident with your landlord. Many times, in a hesaid-she said situation, the first one to report gets an edge. Protect yourself and by all means, do not get into a physical confrontation with him.
    Good luck.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The awkward conversation when your neighbor, who you've never otherwise talked to, knocks on the door to apologize for banging on the ceiling. And she keeps saying "it's great you have that type of relationship with your girlfriend" and you have no idea what she's talking about, and never heard anyone banging or yelling from downstairs because, well....

Ahem.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

During our pre-home owner years, we were in a nice complex for about 3 years. Third floor, no issues at all for the first year. Years 2 & 3, however, the starting QB at the local "football powerhouse" university moved into the unit directly below us. Well known player, who unfortunately never lived up to the HS expectations....of either the local fans, or national "experts."

No issues with the player, or his roommates. Incredibly nice kid. However, as these things tend to happen, his address got out. We were then "treated" to 2 years of objects thrown at windows, cars defaced in the parking lot (folks weren't sure which was his...so they would dump stuff on any they thought MIGHT be), idiots coming home from the bar & screaming at the building, etc.. The "highlight" came after a tough loss during his senior season, when some genius (somehow) climbed up onto our balcony (thinking it was his) and took a dump on the floor.....leaving behind a note, telling QB that this is what he thought of the kids play. Good times.....

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

sounds like some very classy folks, layman

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sad to hear about your problems. I know if I'd lived there, I'd hope to catch the bleeper taking a dump on the balcony. The next thing he'd discover was that he couldn't fly.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Came under the heading of "irritant" for us, really felt terrible for the kid. Drip, they'd have been FAR worse off if my wife had caught them :)

Draft saved Draft deleted