1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment neighbor issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

.....stoob just read this and remembered the good old days.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

In college we had two girls live upstairs of us in an old house converted into apartments.
    One of the girls bedrooms was above our bathroom, their living rooms was above my bedroom...real fucked up setup for both places (we had two bathrooms in ours that were back-to-back rooms, they had one...no clue who redesigned the place).
    We became pretty good friends and would be pretty open and frank about anything...sex, drugs, etc.
    Anyway, I got home from the bar one night and was dropping a duece. I could hear the girl in her room with a guy going at it. She gave a pretty good performance...made me stick around the waterclosest longer than expected anyway.
    So, they finish...well, he does anyway...the walls are thin mind you (I "heard" his vinegar stroke, in a sense)...and he leaves pretty much after that. Within 10 seconds of him walking down the stairs I hear her get back in bed and a loud buzzing sound followed.
    The next day I went up to tell her I heard it all. We both had a good laugh, especially when she said she called her vibrator "The Silver Bullet" in the conversation.

As for shitty neighbors...never really had any...but I had to share the bullet story.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah...like that. But I was sitting down. LOL

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe to you. :)

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My downstairs neighbor in college once complained to me about my roommate and his "nightly fuckin' rodeo" with his girlfriend. I never heard them.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I once had a downstairs neighbor complain to our landlord that my alarm went off at the same time every morning. He wasn't upset about the duration of the alarm. And he didn't mention the volume of the alarm. He was just annoyed that it went off at 7:30 five days a week.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

CB, you and MMII might be the only people on here who can place this (maybe 93D) but I moved into the Lofts at Canal Walk (19th and Main, I think? one block over from the Have a Nice Day Cafe) and I had one of the top floor lofts, so it was the entire width of the building. I could see the James River out one window, and the courtyard out the other side.

Anyway, 20 foot ceilings, hardwood floors, glorious. Loved it (until it changed management). Except my neighbors had an alarm that would go off at like 5:30 every morning ... and would go off for sometimes 30 minutes. No snooze, no nothing. Just alarm beeps nonstop. I knocked on the wall, i went to their door, I called the complex, nothing. Eventually they moved out. But that SUCKED.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That was a great location.

Did you ever think about about setting up an "I'm home" alarm to go off 30 minutes before you thought your night shift would end?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wasn't working night shifts at that point. Well, not really. But I sure wasn't getting up at 5:30. :)

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've lived in apartments for 20+ years and have been really lucky to not have any major problems...until now. My across the hall neighbors for the past 9 months have been a young couple. My problem with them is the insane volume of their laughter - crazy-sounding, maniacal laughter that comes from their apartment at night. What's weird is that they don't laugh together - only one laughs at a time - and I don't remember ever hearing any loud laughter during the day. Both of them almost scream their laughter. It's hard to describe. The guy also claps when he laughs. There's also not much of any noise coming from their place during the day, even when I know they're home. I can hear the laughing when my bedroom door is closed and my TV is on. It even woke me up once.

They've been incredibly unfriendly the few times I've seen them. When I've said "hi" in the hall, I've either gotten averted eyes or what seemed like a really forced half-smile from her and nothing from him. I've been hesitant to say anything to them, because of that, but it's really frustrating. I pretty much can't sit in my living room and read because the laughter is so distracting. Besides, it's not like asking them to turn the TV down.

(And before any of you ask, I don't think they're getting high. I've never smelled anything.)

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is just me, and I'm not a nice person, but I would fucking slam the door closed every night when I get home and play music. I can hear my neighbors vacuuming occasionally at 9 a.m. I have no problem with it because they don't seem to have a problem with me occasionally playing "For Whom The Bell Tolls" at 4 a.m. If they were to complain, we'd have a problem.

Fuck this neighbor. You're not doing anything wrong at all. You're way too sensitive to his demands if you change your behavior to suit him. Why the hell does he think his sleep is more valuable than yours?

Draft saved Draft deleted