1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment neighbor issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Within the last 6 months. I've been there almost 5 years and never heard a complaint. I've asked previous downstairs tenants if I ever made too much noise, and they all said no.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Artie Lange wouldn't happen to be the maintenence man, would he?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're not being loud or obnoxious, and you have a right to walk around your own apartment.

Next time he threatens to call the cops, hand him a phone and tell him to do it right there.

Also, contact your landlord and tell him your neighbor is bothering you, just so you get your side of the story out to him first.

4. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'm generally sympathetic to noise complaints, but some people just aren't capable of living in apartments. Many years ago now, my mother had a 2nd floor apartment in a 3 story building. Every time the stereo or TV was on, the tenants from below would pound on their ceiling with a broomstick. We were cognisant of this, and pretty careful about keeping everything at an extremely low volume - as in, we couldn't really even hear it volume. One time the guy came up to complain, and we showed him that the stereo was on '1' and explained that it was just the way the building was built - not much we could do about it. But we offered to turn it down a bit more since it was bugging him. Other that that one time though it was always the repetitive pounding on the ceiling with the broomstick.

One night I'm there lying on the sofa reading a book. My mom had gone to bed a bit earlier. No stereo on, no TV on, no noise period. The 3rd floor unit had some company over and I could somewhat hear them sharing conversation upstairs, but they weren't being loud whatsoever. Then from below, the broomstick banging begins. I let it go once, but several minutes later it comes again. I got up and proceeded to jump up & down for a couple of minutes straight. A bit childish perhaps, but I wanted them to know that I'd had it and that they could shove that broomstick up their asses. I started turning the stereo up to '2' whenever I used it after that.

Walking doesn't generally fall under even the most stringent 'disturbing the peace' statutes. Either there's something severely wrong with the way your building is constructed, or your neighbor is just a jagoff. I'm inclined to go with the latter.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That is the most pathetic-reading "fuck you" in history. :D

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You expected something different from a guy with the handle "Quiet Man?"

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, my name's not "Loud Bitch" so I figured there was some leeway with that.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I can't decide whether or not Loud Bitch would be a good band name.

9. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Ha! I'm not a man to be messed with.

10. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

This is well played.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well it shou....er, I mean, that's true.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Lived in two apartments. Lived on the bottom floor in one, the top in the other. The apartment above mine in Lexington was empty the entire time I was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted