1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment neighbor issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MightyMouse, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So I got home from work around midnight last Thursday, and within 5 minutes, there was a knock at my door from my downstairs neighbor complaining that I was being too loud. Confused, I asked him what he meant, since I had barely taken off my coat (TV wasn't on; I wasn't on the phone; I didn't have any visitors).

He said that I was walking around too loudly and waking him up. He said the next time I woke him up, he was going to call the police. I asked him what his complaint was going to be, and he replied, "Disturbing the peace."

Not wanting to laugh in his face, I told him to go to bed, and I closed the door.

Couple things here: 1. I'm not completely up to speed on nuisance law, but I'm pretty sure I can't get in trouble -- let alone arrested -- for walking around my apartment. 2. If you're living in an apartment building, don't you have to expect a certain noise level? I'm not excusing loud TV/music or late-night parties, but with that many people in one building, you can't expect complete silence all the time. If you want that, buy a house out in the country -- or at least don't rent a first-floor apartment.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

You know, give him a bit of a white trash stubble, and they sort of look alike.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you wear your shoes in your place or do you take them off at the door? Try taking off the shoes and see if he still bitches.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A dear friend who weighs no more than 125 pounds lived on the second floor, with a cop in the apartment below. He complained she was stomping her feet loudly at night. She was just walking normally. He figured out she was telling the truth (he also saw that she's a hottie), and he didn't complain again.

A lot of apartments are like that. Footsteps sound like foot stomps.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I always take my shoes off when I get in. The guy's just nuts. Part of me really does want him to call the police, just for the entertainment value of it.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When it comes to neighbors, always try to find the good door.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet MM has hardwood floors, because I have hardwood floors and my upstairs neighbors have hardwood floors. Walking around in shoes or boots (my upstairs neighbors both work in warehouses so I hear boot prints a lot) is amplified. I've reached a point where it doesnt bother me anymore.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Carpeted. Linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What he said. I just learned to live with it.

Tell the guy to get a pair of earplugs or noise-canceling headphones if it bugs him that much.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Buy some tap shoes and a Shirley Temple movie and start practicing.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did this neighbor just move in? I'm sure he's had to deal with people upstairs before.

Draft saved Draft deleted