1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apartment choice assistance, please? (Dark Horse appears on Page 5)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 26, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Apartment choice assistance, please?

There's nothing wrong with the kitchen in #2. I mean, a stainless steel fridge is nice and all, but since it's not yours, what difference does it make.

I'd still go #2

Question is, how often do you entertain? Do you have dinner parties? If so, is there a dining area in either place?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm sticking with Showcase No. 2. But I"m not spaying or neutering my pet, just to stick it to Bob Barker.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The laundry thing is very underrated. The time you spend shuttling to and from the laundromat, and the time you lose just staring at the washer spin -- or watching a Springer episode on a vintage 1989 Philco 13-inch TV, take your pick -- drives me up the wall. You lose a lot of control over your schedule sometimes by having to finagle your routine around the hours you want/need to go to a laundromat.

4. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Apartment #2 doesn't require a laundromat, if I read the descriptions right. Just that the facilities are elsewhere on the property, like on the bottom floor.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Go with Apartment No. 2.

When do you have to decide?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Those pictures just made me like #1 even more. Although the view is pretty sweet from 2.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I still say views or no views, take the cheaper option and take that money and put it towards your bills. that is the only way to pay off your debt. (If that indeed is what is most important)

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not the ONLY way to pay off my debt. It's the only way to pay it off FASTER, but it's not the only way. I'll still have about $800 a month to put toward debt, even with the more expensive option, plus some money up front depending on the free month at No. 1. In fact, with the free month, I think it's close to break even. Let me do some math.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, here's what I came up with:

No. 1 will cost me $743 counting deposit, pet fee, application fee and pro-rated rent for April. May is free. So estimating $120 for electric, $120 for cable/internet, $40 for water ... I'd pay $1023 for five weeks of living.

No. 2 will cost me $1102 counting deposit, pet fee, application fee and pro-rated rent for April. May will be $850, plus $120 for electric, $50 for cable/internet ... I'd pay $2122 for five weeks of living.

So I'm out $1100 up front, which if I moved into No. 1, I was putting toward debt, which lowers the balance taking on interest as months go forward.

Obviously, if my credit sucks so bad I don't get the first month free, that changes things. But aside from that, I think financially No. 1 makes much more sense as I look at it more.

I wish my friend had never sent me the pics of the view. :)

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Based on the pictures and the financial stuff you just put up, I vote for No. 1.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you're going to be out $1,100 just based on your upfront costs, then you might as well just go with No. 1. Any money you'd save afterwards with No. 2 is basically neutralized.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Based on the numbers you posted, for the year No. 1 will cost you roughly $400 more.
    So if you're definitely getting the free month, you might as well go with No. 1. If you're not getting the free month, then go with No. 2.

Question about your estimated costs.
    With No. 1 cable is separate, with No. 2 you previously mentioned cable is included with the rent. So the $50 is for high-speed internet alone, correct?
    If that is the case, number No. 1 will cost roughly $200 more a month ($125 rent, $70 for cable), which increases the savings at No. 2 - even with the move-in deal/free month to $600 for the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted